chapter eleven

Your hair tickled your cheeks as the light breeze circled around you. You hugged your knees close to your chest, small goosebumps forming on the skin of your arms and legs. Fresh air tingled your lungs and filled your body with peace. The night sky was beautiful from the top of John's roof.

You tried time and time again to push thoughts of John out of your mind. You kept picturing the woman with strawberry blonde hair that you saw at Sunrise Farm. You couldn't help but connect her with the woman John mentioned tonight.

Holly.

You scoffed at the name, anger boiling inside of you all over again. How dare he? After John made a move on to you twice, you're already identified as one of his playthings? If someone would assume the girl John is making out with in the back of a truck is Holly, she must be a lover.

Oh, the nerve of him.

You snapped out of your thoughts when you heard someone climbing up the bright blue ladder to the roof. Of course it was him. Couldn't stand the thought of you being mad at him. You tried to hide the smug expression that crept over your face as you turned around to greet him.

"Came to apologize?" You raised a confident brow at the man stepping on to the roof from the ladder. Your smirk fell instantly when you noticed that the mystery person was definitely not John. Instead, a cultist stared down at you with an unamused gaze.

"John wants you for confession, sinner."

***

"Ow!" You yelped as the follower shoved you into the confession room, rapidly slamming the door behind you. You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion at the strange action of the cultist, and you glanced at John to explain.

"They're not allowed in here," he simply shrugged, glancing behind his shoulder at you then resuming his work. Your eyes ran around the room. This confession room was nothing like the one in John's bunker.

It was almost like this room was brand new. The floor was covered with pristine white tile, and the walls surrounding the room were painted with a deep blue. John's propaganda posters about 'The Power of Yes' hung on every wall, as well as a picture of the Seed family.

If this room wasn't used for torturing people, you would've probably guessed it was John's man cave where he drank beer and watched football games like the rest of Montana.

Your eyes landed on John, who was wiping off some tools with a damp rag. When he set the cloth down on the white table, you noticed a sickening red paste covering the fabric. At least the tool was clean... And at least he was sanitary.

Without turning around to face you, the man nodded towards a chair to the left of him. "Sit," he ordered, placing his tools back in a clear box on the table. When he didn't hear your footsteps moving towards the chair, he deeply sighed and spun around to face you.

John leaned against the white table, his palms flat on the surface as he crossed his ankles. "Sit," he snapped, nodding towards the chair once again. He wasn't in the mood for your stubbornness or your sass. The glint in his eyes made a knot form in your throat.

You reluctantly obeyed, your feet dragging across the floor as you made your way to the chair. You slid down into it, glaring up at him in defiance. "Deputy, I'm gonna have to be honest with you here," John approaches you with a sickening smile, "I'm done being nice."

You rolled your eyes, a mocking laugh escaping your mouth before you can stop it. John's face hardens. You weren't going to take him seriously? Oh, he'll change that real quick. The man reached over to his table, picking up the nearest thing to him.