Chapter 21 - A Sting In The Tail

Once upon a time, the four-bedroom detached house in Clerkenwell might have been considered grand with its wrought-iron balconies, stained-glass sun lounge and sculptured gargoyles standing guard either side of the Georgian-style portico. But having spent the last eleven hours – including most of the night – staring at it through the passenger side window of Leon's car, Maddox could read a different story.

The wrought-iron balconies were plagued by rust, twisted out of shape and barely safe to even stand next to. The stained-glass sun lounge had at least three punctures by Maddox's count, hastily patched up with cardboard or plastic sheets - not that it mattered much anyway, because an overgrown oak tree would block most of the morning sunshine from reaching it. And the stone gargoyles, which were supposed to look fearsome, were now so disfigured and worn by age and the elements that it was hard to distinguish exactly what they were. Add that to the mass of ivy that had taken over the front surface of the house and the troublesome weeds that sprouted through the uneven cracks in the winding driveway and it gave the image of a fallen king that was desperately struggling to cling onto its crown.

Maddox jolted in his seat and accidentally smacked the pair of binoculars he was holding against the window as Leon yawned and stretched out his arms in the driver's seat next to him.

"No sign of life yet?" he asked, opening his eyes blearily and then quickly shutting them again when he realised it still wasn't light.

"Nothing," Maddox admitted bitterly. "The rat is refusing to bite the cheese."

Leon yawned again, louder this time, then sat upright to check his watch. It was six am. He'd been asleep since two at which point they'd swapped roles, Maddox taking over watch duty and Leon being permitted a few hours of uncomfortable rest behind the steering wheel.

"He must be about to act soon," Leon grumbled. "The message has been out for over eleven hours now. What's he playing at?"

"I'm sure we'll find out soon. He can't hide in that place forever."

Within five minutes of the words leaving Maddox's mouth, a car suddenly appeared at the top of the driveway, the bright headlights cutting through the thick blanket of darkness like a beacon. It was a 2005-register Jaguar XJ with navy blue bodywork and black-tinted windows, making it impossible to make out the driver or any passengers inside. It took the winding driveway slowly, weaving cautiously as if afraid the crumbling tarmac would fall apart beneath the wheels.

Parked several houses down the road with enough space between them and the driveway so as not to arouse suspicion, Maddox lowered the binoculars and elbowed Leon sharply in the ribs, rousing him from his newest slumber.

"Look," Maddox said and gestured towards the driveway. They both watched as the Jaguar reached the main road and, after a moment's pause to check for traffic, swung out to head off in the opposite direction.

Leon switched on the engine and reached for the handbrake. "Are we sure it's him?" he said, his hand hovering above the lever.

"It has to be," Maddox replied. "Who else could it be?"

"Let's follow him them."

Leon checked his mirrors then pulled out smoothly into the left-hand lane, accelerating for several seconds to close the gap down to about two hundred yards then easing up again to match the Jaguar for pace.

"I'll maintain the gap here," he muttered, belatedly fastening his seatbelt and settling in for the journey. "Try not to let him cotton on that we're tailing him."