three

Every night at work, new people come in. They would both stagger and fall head first onto the bar table or run to my side of the table and come up stupid ways to hook up in the bathroom.

"I'm married." Was my reason, even though I'm a widower. I haven't been looking for anyone and I was okay with that.

"Just a quick hookup in the bathroom, pleaseeee?" The drunk lady pouted and grabbed my hands.

"Sorry, I'm just here to serve you tonight." I poured her another drink in her glass. "Cocktail?"

I turned my head to look at Felix as she drank heavily. Felix was younger than I was. He graduated early and decided to take a gap year. He wanted to save some money without his parents so he decided to work here. I found that understandable- if he wanted to do something for independence, so be it. Though he's all by himself now, and I can't help but feel sorry for the guy.

"Here's my number, you definitely earned it." Felix handed the babe in front of him a paper with his written number.

I shook my head and laughed. He was pretty sly with the girls in here.

"I love you.." The lady in front of me slurred out, interrupting my thoughts.

I chuckled and nodded a bit. "Well thanks. Is that all for you?"

"Gimme more, I want more!"

"More?" I grabbed a few drinks off the shelves. "Alright, alright. I'll be nice." I smirked and layered her drink. You had to please the girls. If not, they wouldn't give you a nice tip. I'd like the people appreciating me for what they ask me to do. I'm just that kind of person.

I drove home quicker than usual because I stayed later tonight.

"I'm so sorry; I had to clean up before closing." I said once I entered inside, taking off my jacket and shutting the door quietly.

Maria stood up from the couch and gave me a small smile. "It's fine. Cherry's been asleep so I was just watching tv."

"Oh, are you hungry?" I walked to the kitchen. "I've been out for a long time so you must be starving." I took the cold pizza from the freezer and placed it in the oven to heat up.

"I'm a little hungry, yeah but you didn't have to make pizza for me." She laughed guiltily.

"I'm hungry as well so this is for the both of us." I laughed. I waited for the pizza to be done before handing a piece to her. She thanked me and sat on the couch.

I ate my piece while watching whatever was on tv. The both of us laughed at one commercial. I found it completely pointless. "What the hell..?"

"I don't understand either." She laughed with me.

I nodded at her statement, laughing a bit more but soon calming down. I glanced over at her. "So how old are you?"

"I'm 24." She answered before biting her pizza.

"Ah," I nodded again. "Married?"

"Nah, but I just broke my relationship with someone almost a month ago."

"No.." I frowned a little. "Really? I hope you're alright."

She shrugged and laughed like it was nothing. "I'm alot better and happier now, thank you." She smiled a genuine smile. It looked like her whole face lit up with that smile, as did her cheekbones.

"You're welcome." I took a last bite of my pizza and wiped my hands with a napkin. I suddenly heard crying from my bedroom and I dropped my plate on the table.

Maria stood back up. "I should go, it's getting late anyways."

"Okay. Thank you for taking care of Cherry." I walked over to her and took out my money from my pocket.

"There's no need to give me money." She smiled. "It's fine."

"Oh, well thanks again."

"I'll see you tomorrow." She opened the door and waved before heading outside.

I shut off the tv and walked straight inside the room. Cherry was crying and sprawling out on the bed. "Shh... baby." I pulled the covers down and laid beside her. She continued to cry as I pressed my hand across her cheek. I frowned and wiped her tears away continuously. "What's wrong sweetheart? There's no need to cry."

"Mummy..." She cried. "Mummy..!"

She had another nightmare and yearned for Lucille. If only life was that easy and Lucille was here in our presence. Lucille would always rock her back to sleep after every nightmare, but now it was my turn. I couldn't do anything but only sing her to sleep.

I held her in my arms, pulling her to my chest. I handed her soft toy monkey before opening my mouth to sing.

"You know I'll be your life, your voice, your reason to be...." I sang quietly in her ear. "My love, my heart is breathing for this moment in time, I'll find the words to say..." I rubbed her back to lessen her cries. "Before you leave me today."

I kissed her tears away when she tried to wipe them. "I'm right here, baby. I'm always here." I pulled the covers up to our shoulders. She gripped onto my shirt and slowly shut her eyes again. "I love you, Cherry."

"I-I love you, d-daddy."