Prequel

Derry, 1969

Connor's POV
"Da. Listen to me!" I yelled.
"Connor, I've heard enough!" He boomed.
Out the corner of my eye I could see mam, and my two sisters: Mary and Sarah watching us argue.
"I love her!"
"Ach, what do you know about love?" He scoffed. "You're 18!"
"We're engaged." I stated.
"Connor!" Dad yelled. "You are not marrying a fucking Protestant."
"Tough shit!"
"Joe. Please." Mam came into the room with a soft voice. "Let's sit down and talk about this, calmly." My dad buried his head into his hands before storming out of the house.
My ma looked at me with sad eyes.
"I know it's not what either of you want. But I'm happy with her. We love each other."
"Connor. I can't pretend I'm not comfortable with your choices, but I'm not disappointed. I'm proud of you, for not judging someone on their religion. The way I brought you and your sisters up. You have to remember that you live in a place where people want to keep us separate. Your da is only acting on how he was brought up, and he only wants the best for you and the girls."
"Dad won't have to worry about it."
"Why?" Sarah asked as my two younger sisters walked into the room.
"I'm moving. Next week, we're moving up to Scotland."
"What?" Ma's face dropped even more.
"Because we went there on holiday last year. To a small town on the coast. We fell in love with that town and we've already put in our first deposit on a house."
"Are you serious?" Mary asked.
"Like you said ma, people here don't want us to be together, so we're going to a place where we can. Where we can start a family and live our lives without judgment!"
Ma started crying. I engulfed her into a hug. "I'm so sorry Mammy."
"It's okay. Just keep a room that I can stay in when I come and visit you and any future grandchildren."
"Of course. You and the girls can come and visit at any time! And dad too, if he ever comes around."
-
It went like clockwork. We moved the following week. Tara and I. Her parents decided they didn't want anything to do with us, which of course was hard for Tara to wrap her head around, but she's keeping herself busy with a new job and decorating the house. I think as well she's upset because my mam and sisters are keeping in touch with me, but they've said they'd support Tara.
                                ***
1974
Tara and I have lived in Scotland for five years. We got married three years ago, and as hard as it's been moving on from our pasts we've made the best of it. Early this morning Tara gave birth to our little girl. We'd been trying for a year before we found out Tara was pregnant. Our little girl is called Jennifer. An absolute gorgeous wee thing, big brown eyes and a mop of brown hair. She looks like Tara.

                                ***We just welcomed our second child

                                ***
We just welcomed our second child. Baby Jessica.
Jennifer is three and she's very excited about being a big sister.

Tara was cradling Jessica.
"Jenni, we need to go and meet someone at the airport." I said picking up Jennifer and sitting her on my hip.
"Who?"
"It's a surprise."
We left the hospital and I drove us to meet my mam and sisters, who I haven't seen in about a year.
-
Jennifer and I stood in the airport, looking at all the arrivals. People were rushing about, but I spotted my mam and sisters.
"Jennifer, look. Is that granny?" She gasped and ran over. Ma picked her up and gave her a bear hug. I hugged my sisters then my mam.
"Mary!" I beamed. "Oh my god, are you?"
"I am. Five months."
"Aw congratulations!" I kissed her cheek.
-

I took my family to the hospital

"Oh Connor, she's beautiful." Mam smiled as she held Jessica. Unlike Jennifer, Jessica has green eyes and blonde hair. She looks like me.
"And tiny." Sarah commented.
"What's her name?" Mary asked.
"Jessica."
"I love that!" Ma replied.
"My sister!" Jen grinned. I picked her up.
"Are you gonna be a good sister?" Mary asked.
"Uh-huh! She's cute!"
"She is cute! Like you!" Sarah smiled.
"I love her!"
"She loves you too!" I kissed Jennifer's cheek, she wrapped her arms around me.
                                ***
1995
Jessica's POV
My friend, Naomi, and I took a longer walk home. Going through the woods, throwing twigs at each other and literally just not caring about anything.
"Did you see what Mrs Fraser was wearing today?" Naomi laughed.
"Oh god aye. And she has the audacity to yell at us for our uniform?" I giggled.

We continued to walk together until we got to Naomi's house. I waved goodbye and continued home.
-
"I'm home!" I yelled opening the front door and dumping my bag on the floor.
"Jess!" My sister beamed.
"Oh my god, Jennifer!" I squeaked. "When did you get home?"
My sister Jen has been at uni for five months.
"Two hours ago. I think?"
"Oh my gosh. I've missed you!" We hugged each other and she kissed my cheek.
"I see dad changed his mind about having a dog."
"He did! Isn't Bear adorable?!"
"Aye. Gorgeous wee thing."

-Later that night, when I was finally drifting off to sleep, there was a loud bang from downstairs

-
Later that night, when I was finally drifting off to sleep, there was a loud bang from downstairs.
However, thinking it was nothing, I pulled my duvet over my head. I then realised it was something serious once I heard shuffling about in my mum and dad's room.
"Be careful, Connor!" I heard mum say.
I cautiously got out of my bed and went to my door. I peered out and saw dad walk down the stairs.
"Who the hell are you?!" Dad yelled. He then shouted and more banging took place. Mum screamed. I closed my door and grabbed Bear by the collar, yanking him off the bed and into my wardrobe. I closed the doors and we huddled up at the back. I had to hold his mouth to stop him from barking.
I had a landline in my bedroom, so I took it into the wardrobe. I called the police.
"999, what's your emergency?" A woman asked.
"There's someone in my house." I whispered.
"I can't hear you."
"There's someone in my house!" I spoke louder.
"Who?"
"I don't know. But they're attacking my family. We need the police!" I started to cry.
"Okay. Keep calm and stay on the phone." After giving out my details she told me the police were on their way.
I had to hang up because the person came into my room.
I heard the sirens wailing up the street. They quickly left and I waited until a silence fell over the house. I went next door to find my older sister lying in a pool of her own blood.
"Jennifer!" I screamed.