Chapter 3: Hunting

My beast's paws thumped on the ground as we ran. I jumped over a fallen log, and then jumped onto a boulder. I took a deep breath, taking in the forest around me.

I had to be far from the pack house and other houses near it. Any scents near me were almost stale.

I decided to step back and let my wolf have more control. I know he needs this, running wild and letting some of his instincts out.

We kept running through the forest on the trail. Soon, though, he surprised me by hanging a left and running off the trail. We were going cross-country running.

My wolf yipped with excitement. He loved this. Soon we came across a creek that my beast stopped to take a drink at.

After our drink, we kept running. We ran until all the trees we saw were green and brown blurs.

Then, my wolf found a scent. A great scent. A juicy Sitka Blacktail deer scent.

He tracked the scent for about a hundred yards, when we found our prey.

My beast stuck his head through some bushes to see a clearing with a lone deer in it.

He stalks it for a minutes, and walks around the clearing, careful not to be seen.

Before the deer even knew what was happening, we were on its back going for its neck. It was dead before it even felt us.

Little did we know, we were being stalked as well. As we sat there, clicking the blood from our lips, we felt proud of our quick kill.

So proud, we didn't even notice someone creeping up behind us. Then, they were on us, and the fight was on.

My first thought, was obviously what the fuck!?

I threw them around, but they had their arms around my neck from behind.

I snapped and reared, trying to dislodge them. After a few seconds of doing this, I rolled. This knocked them off and I stood up, glaring and baring my teeth at them.

He was laughing at me. The little shit was laughing at me. I huffed in annoyance once I realized who it was. James.

James was a vampire, and he was several times my age, yet he acted half my age. I glared at him before getting up and walking out of the clearing.

I shift and take out a pair of shorts from one of the boxes we had stocked around the pack's land.

After putting on the shorts, I go back into the clearing. James was standing there with a playful grin.

"Surprise!" he yells. "You should have seen your face, pup."

"Really? You scared the crap out of me!" I say with a small grin.

He just laughs again.

"Ok, why are you here?" I ask him.

"Official vampire business," he replies trying to sound official.

"Sophia is out of town again isn't she," I say as more of a statement, referring to his mate.

"Yes."

"And you don't have anyone to cook for you, do you?"

"Nope."

I chuckle some. I knew James loved my mom's cooking. He thought it was better than Sophia's, but he would never tell his mate that.

I playfully roll my eyes before he says, "I'm also here to do some business with your dad, but I wouldn't say no to a good home cooked meal."

I laugh. "Ok. Speaking of food, do you want to drink the blood out of that deer, I have no use for it."