Chapter 12: The Latins

By the time I came to, my head throbbing, Jake was already awake and glaring at the cells that held us in. I sat up with a groan. I stood to go look out the cell.

"Don't touch it. Silver," Jake says in a sour voice as he shows me his hands and the silver burns that were on them.

I took a step back and looked at him. I could tell he was fuming, but something told me he wasn't just mad at the pack.

"Jake, what's-" I started before he cut me off.

"You should've done something. You didn't say or do anything. Now they've separated us and who knows what they're doing to Lianna. You may not understand what it's like yet to have a mate, but she's everything to me. If they kill her..." he trails off. I knew what he meant. Losing your mate meant losing the person closest to you. Which meant losing your mind shortly after.

I didn't say anything for a few moments. When I did respond I said, "I know. I know you're mad at me. But being mad at me right now isn't going to solve anything. Let's focus on getting out of here, and once we're out, you can be mad at me then for the rest of the trip."

"Who says there'll be a rest of the trip? I can't keep putting my family at risk like this," he responds, finally looking away from the cell door and at me.

"Then I guess I understand...wait. Your family? Jake, is Lianna pregnant?" I asked quietly in shock.

"We don't know yet for sure. She's late. We were going to get a pregnancy test at the next town. That's why I've been so distracted. That's why we got off course and into this territory in the first place," he replies with a sigh. 

"Shit... Jake, don't blame yourself for this. Like you said, I should have done something."

"Let's just figure out how to get out of this."

"Ok," I replied simply. I turned back to the cell door.

We were obviously underground. It was dark and smelled like damp earth. I focused on the other scents around us and smelled other wolves. And another scent. A human?

"Is anyone else here?" I asked into the semi darkness. The only light came from a small hole next to the door.

"It's useless. Your plan to escape. We've been trying for years," says a aged male voice in the dark to my left.

"What's your name?" I asked, looking towards the source of the voice.

"I am Septimus," he replies.

"Septimus? Like Latin for the seventh?" Jake asks, standing up and standing beside me.

"Yes. Archos changed my name when I was young. I don't remember what it was. You may have met my younger brother Decimus. The tenth one," he says.

"Why did he change your name?" Jake asks.

"Because I was to be his seventh general. You see, he wants to take over more land for himself."

"An empire almost? Hence the name Archos. Leader. Why isn't his name Emperor or something?" I ask him.

"Because his empire isn't built yet. Once he takes over as many packs as possible, he will change his name again," Septimus replies.

"And your brother? How many are there?" Jake asks him.

"Nine of us now. That's why I'm in here. Archos sent us to take over a pack to the north. My older brother Quintus was with me. But the pack was stronger. They killed all of our forces but me and a few others, including Quintus. When we got back, Archos labeled us deserters. He killed my soldiers and threw me in here. This was probably eleven years ago or so. Time is confusing in this place," he explains.

"Our condolences. Do you know any way to get out of here?" I ask Septimus.

"No. But she might," he says. There's the sound of a small scuffle and a small squeak of fear. "The problem is she doesn't talk. Or maybe she can't, I don't know. All I know is that they torment her. She's human" he says.

I look in the direction of the squeak, which was right across from us. I could barely make out a shadow curled up in the corner.

"Did you throw something at her?" Jake asks.

"A pebble. But that's the only way she makes sound," Septimus responds.

"Can you hear me? Look, I don't want to hurt you. I just want your help. We can get you out of here if you just help us," I say in a gentle voice.

"Tried that. Two years ago. She still hasn't said a word," Septimus says.

The shadow of her figure that I could see didn't move. I sighed and leaned back.

"How do you know she could help us escape?" Jake asks.

"Because we can't touch these gates, but she can. And I have a knife that I stole from a guard. All she would have to do is pick the lock. That is if she would do anything besides sit there," Septimus replies.

We sat in silence for several minutes. I tried thinking of anything else to help us get out. Finally I decided to try something that was most likely the dumbest thing ever.

I got as close to the edge of the cell door as possible and sat down. I looked at her and said in a gentle tone, "if you can hear me, there's something I need you to do. Just open your mind. That's all."

I started trying to link with her. It was hard to do with humans as it were, but if she didn't open her mind, it would be impossible.

I tried for several moments. Nothing happened. I decided to try once more. That's when I saw her move to look at me. Her mind opened up and she let me in.

I had to focus hard on my voice in her head because it was already difficult.

My name is Thomas Blake. I'm not going to hurt you. We just need your help. Please, you heard our conversation earlier. That monster has my friend's mate. She could be pregnant. We need to help her and to do that we need your help. Please. I beg into her head.

I could practically feel her stare on me. There wasn't a reply for several moments before she replied with three simple words.

"I will help."