The Fear

Deok Sun managed to leave Jung Hwan's house before their parents came home from their fishing trip. He had plenty of time before dinner so he just lied down on the sofa in the living room, pretended to read a comic book when her mom checked on him.

He couldn't stop thinking about her—and the things they did on his bed mere hours before. He still couldn't believe they were finally dating. For years he thought she only ever saw him as friend and she loved Taek instead.

She completely broke him when she started dating Taek and it took him a year to get himself together. They only broke up after he started dating So Jung and he missed his timing again. It was like the universe was conspiring to keep them apart, really.

The funny thing was this time it was so easy for them. They came home at the same time and it just happened, so naturally. He smiled at himself. Maybe because they just simply meant to be together.

"Jung Hwan-ah, we're having dinner at the Sungs, okay? I'm going there first to help them," his mom told him before she went out. His dad followed her not to long after that and he continued reading the comic.

"Yah, Kim Jung Hwan," Deok Sun suddenly walked in and called him. He smiled to her when she sat beside him. "Dinner's ready."

He loved how she just came to his house so comfortably like this, like she did back in the '80s. He used to hate the fact that their parents still lived next to each other, but now he wanted to thank them for that.

"Deok Sun-ah, do you think we should tell our parents?" he asked.

"Right away? What would we tell them? We started dating yesterday?" she scoffed at him. He laughed at that.

"I just don't want to have to think of excuse to see you. If they know we're dating, they won't ask question," he shrugged his shoulders. "In high school, I can go to Taek's room to see you, but now I had no excuse."

"You go to Taek's room to see me?" she asked, grinning.

"I told you I did all kind of things for you in high school," he scoffed at her.

"You know I never told you before, but I like you too back then," she grinned at him. "I thought you knew, but when you told me you thought it was a chance we met on the bus, I realized you never found out."

Jung Hwan was stunned. He opened his mouth to say something but no word came out. She felt bad for him so she scooted closer and gave him a hug. He sighed and buried his face on her shoulder, held her waist tight.

"All this time, I thought it was just one sided love."

"I'm sorry."

"I just.." Jung Hwan pulled away to look at her. "I couldn't believe we started dating this easily. You said you always loved me, but I didn't know since when. I never saw it coming."

"Why do you think I kept insisting to go to Lee Moon Se's concert with you? Why did I give you a separate birthday present from the boys? Why did I woke up at dawn just to go to the school with you? I like you too, you stupid. I love you too."

It was like she was answering his confession, four years later. He smiled, his eyes were full of love for her. God, why did it take so long for her to fully grasp just how much he loved her? He was always being crystal clear with his feeling. She was really dense back then.

She stroked his cheek, smiling back, "I'm sorry, I'll make it up to you, okay? I promise."

"How?" he asked, grinning cheekily.

Deok Sun leaned closer and planted a kiss on his lips, "Like this?"

They heard someone coughed and they turned around just to find Deok Sun's dad was standing in front of Jung Hwan's room. They both stood up right away, looked down awkwardly.