The New Beginning

Bangyo, 1998

"Deok Sun-ah!"

Deok Sun turned her head and saw her dad was waving at her. She ran to him, laughing. Her dad held her shoulders and led her to the car.

"Appa, you bought a car?" she asked him, surprised.

"No, it's Jung Bong abeoji's car," he answered, smiling. Deok Sun scoffed, she should knew better, really. They got on to the car and left the bus terminal. Deok Sun let the window open, soaking in the sunlight and the fresh wind. God, she missed Korea.

"Aigoo, it's been so long since I saw your face," her dad couldn't stop smiling. "It's been a year already!"

"Sorry I couldn't go home so often," she smiled apologetically.

She started working in a foreign airline two years ago and she moved to London for that. She never admitted it to anyone but she did it because she couldn't handle seeing Taek on a regular basis. She didn't want to ruin the mood each time their squad met. She didn't want to see them took his side and leave her alone. So she found an excuse to leave.

She only came to Korea two times during those two years, one time on Jung Bong and Mi Ok's wedding and the other time when Bo Ra and Sun Woo's first son was born. She met Taek both times and he was actually pretty fine about it. She even heard from Dong Ryong that Taek was enganged to a younger baduk player already. Good for him.

"Deok Sun-ah, you came home for good, right? Are you going back to your old company?" dad suddenly asked her, took her back from her wandering thoughts.

"Yes and I asked to be assigned in the domestic flights this time," she answered, grinning. "So I can see you anytime I want."

"Really?" dad laughed again happily. "But you'll live in Seoul, right?"

"I don't know yet, the company would tell me where I'll be assigned next week," she answered.

"As long as you still live in Korea," dad told her and it made her smiled.

They arrived at the house not long after that and she was welcomed by mountain of food her mother made. She had a meal right away, even though it was 3 in the afternoon. She told them about her life in London, places she went to, food she ate and friends she made. They only grinned, looked perfectly happy just sitting there and listening to her stories.

Her parents then visited the Kims' house for a go-stop game while Deok Sun washed up and change her clothes. She decided to go there too since she had nothing to do at home. She saw Jung Hwan's black jeep was parked outside, wondering if he was home too. He was reading a comic book while lying down in the sofa when she came in. He sat up when he saw her, surprised.

"Yah, when did you get back?" he asked.

"Annyeong," Deok Sun grinned. Jung Hwan was still speechless when she sat beside him. "I just got here this afternoon."

"What's the occasion? You never go home unless there's something happening," he asked, being sarcastic as usual. She scoffed at him.

"I'm home for good. I moved to back to my old company," she answered.

"Oh, really?" Jung Hwan smiled teasingly. "Why? Don't you like working there?"

"Augh, they worked me to death, really. It was pretty great on the first year. I did get to visit a lot of countries, but last year was pretty brutal," Deok Sun shook her head. "I rarely get a leave and I went on 12 hours flight once every three days. It was insane. I'd rather work here, at least I can see my parents often."