[First Draft] Chapter 5: Answer

Start from the beginning

After I grabbed my laptop from its spot on the floor next to my bed, I crossed the threshold into the hall. Polly closed the door behind me and locked it with a little ornate golden key, that I only now noticed hung on a long chain around her neck. She slipped the chain and key down her shirt, nestled next to her curves--away from the temptation for me to snatch it and run, I assumed--and stepped forward, in front of me, beckoning to me with her hand. She led me down the hallway and back out into the beautiful entrance hall.  

As we crossed to the opposite side, I got a closer look at the house. There was the large red door that we had entered the house through a few hours ago; it was flanked by two rooms, accessible by two open double-wide arches. One looked like a study, the other like a living room, both adorned with fireplaces and lush couches. There was a large sweeping staircase opposite the red door that lead to the second floor which was out of sight. Two small open doorways were placed on either side of the stairs on the lower level, that led to two tiled rooms, one which I assumed was the kitchen.  

The hallway we had just emerged from was narrow, nestled in a nook behind the exterior corner of the living room; it led to three small rooms, including my own.  

But we didn't linger in the grand entrance hall. We headed straight for the exit, the large red door that drew your eye with its impressive size and bright colour. Polly pulled the key from her shirt, and used it to unlock the front door as well.  

Polly pushed it aside and stepped out into the night, the cold air biting at my cheeks. I followed her to her car.

* * *

We arrived at my apartment in no time. Maybe it was because I was distracted or because I wasn't in fear that we would end up at the Psych Ward this time, but I barely noticed the journey.  

The street was dead, just like the first night I arrived here. The streetlights were useless and the only signs that the houses weren't abandoned were the dancing glows in their windows indicating that their occupants were zoned out in front of the TV.  

But my building was still. The upper floor was dark, as was my apartment and the strange little shop. There was no movement or light indicating life.  

I strode confidently towards the door to my apartment, determined to keep up the facade that I wasn't bothered by the events that had occurred here just the day before, and that I was keen on getting to the bottom of this. Which I was, but that doesn't mean that the thought of entering the apartment didn't give me chills that ran deep, into my bones.  

The door opened without complaint, innocent to the evil that had touched down in here--it was not responsible for letting it in. The apartment was dark, still and smelled of dust; harmless.  

I moved slowly now, anticipating an ambush at every turn. But I flicked on the lights and nothing happened. I walked across the living room, and still nothing changed. I stood in place for a few moments, skin prickling, waiting for some sign, something to happen and tilt the balance of my beliefs.  

It didn't come.  

Polly did though, closing the door behind her with a bang. She was watching me, assessing my reaction to the change in environment. I reverted back to my steely self, still trying to convince Polly that I was capable of dealing with this without some psychiatric intervention.  

"What did you forget?"  

"Uhm, that I needed to do something to my laptop. Install something." I muttered, coming up with an excuse to use my computer.  

Polly didn't look to pleased, but didn't object either. She just nodded and went to stand in my kitchen, leaning against the counter so she could keep me in her sights.