Chapter 3 - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"The rumor mill has been going wild," Marissa said.

"And that's all they are—rumors."

"I have to admit. I was hoping there was some truth to it. I'm such a fan, and after what you've been through with Nick Evans ..."

Kerri forced a smile. "Taylor and I are just good friends."

"Well, speaking of Nick." Glenn leaned back on his chair. "I heard you had an eventful Sunday."

Kerri cast a knowing smile over to Dana. She thanked God for Dana, her third assistant since her return to work. "I did. A fan somehow infiltrated the church, pretending to be a server, and got too close for my comfort."

"Oh? I thought Nick was jealous and got into a fight with the server. He has gotten into several fights due to jealousy."

"That was years ago. We were younger and ... less wise," she said and continued before Glenn could ask another question or make another statement. "And as I said, the guy isn't our church's server. Even our church has come forward to say that. You should get your facts checked before accusing anyone." She smiled sweetly at Glenn.

"I'm not trying to accuse Nick. I'm merely stating what someone wrote."

"Well, the person wrote nonsense that isn't worth reading." She maintained her friendly demeanor. "If Nick hadn't been there, if he hadn't pulled the guy away from me, I don't know what could've happened." She added a shudder for effect.

"I'm glad you're safe," Glenn said, and Marissa nodded. "But something bad always happens to you whenever he's around you, doesn't it?"

Kerri inhaled slowly through her nose. "My mistakes were my own. They had nothing to do with him."

Glenn shook his head. "All that partying and drinking. Not to mention the drugs. You don't do any of that anymore. Once he was out of your life, everything calmed down."

"I chose to take every drop of alcohol; I chose to go to all the parties, but I never took drugs."

"But he did."

She sighed. "Right, but he never—not once—tried getting me to take cocaine with him." Her entanglement with the drug was her own choice, too.

"You're still very protective of him. I hope you're not still in love with him. He isn't good for you."

Kerri looked down at the glass of water on the coffee table in front of her. She entertained the thought of picking up the glass and splashing the water into Glenn's face.

"Glenn," Marissa said and looked at Glenn. "Be nice."

Kerri picked up the glass, took a sip of water, and returned it to the table. "It's all right." She looked right at Glenn. "I'm still protective of Nick because he's my friend. Before we were a couple, we were good friends. He has always been blamed for all of my mistakes, which isn't fair to him."

She turned to face a camera and paused for a moment, waiting for the producers to switch the focus of the screen onto the camera she was looking at. "I want to officially apologize for all the mistakes I've made. I'm sorry I wasn't a better example. I'm sorry if I disappointed my fans, but none of that was Nick's fault. I take full responsibility for my actions."

"Even for the car accident?"

Her eyes almost narrowed into a glare. But by God's grace, she managed to stop herself. "Absolutely," she said as sweetly as possible. If she were to lose her cool now, it would somehow be Nick's fault again.

Marissa nodded, and her bright smile returned. "I think it is clear that Nick cares about you as well."

"Yes—"