VII

It was your first day working with the Resistance. You didn't think it'd happen so fast, but, it did. Their president—a very interesting and compelling man—Mr. Ackbar, showed you around. He informed you on his position but believed you would catch on easily. After all, you were a president for the First Order.

You left without a sign, only dealing with who you had to when you decided to quit your previous job. You really didn't want anyone questioning your decisions or trying to convince you to stay. This was final. You were going to work with the Resistance. And, already, you were loving it more.

Poe was generous, he introduced you to a few of the higher ups—Connix, Wexley, Ackbar, the Tico sisters—and a few others that you couldn't seem to remember with the array of people working for and with him. They were all lovely and different in their own ways. Their auras were bright and welcoming. Much better than that of the FO.

You finished your day on a high note, already loving the company and the brand new faces. It eased your broken heart quite well—although not fully, Kylo still lingered on the back of your mind. You knew he wouldn't leave it, not for a while, he was still fresh in your heart... just like the hole he created in it.

Letting out a deep sigh as you sat in your car, ready to head home for some well deserved rest (the Resistance was great but there still was a lot of work), you pulled out your phone from your purse. You hadn't even touched it all day, way too busy to even bother. Plus, you expected calls from those wondering where you had gone.

Clicking the unlock button, your shoulders dropped as you read the missed calls listed.

Phasma (7)

Mitaka (2)

Hux (3)

Taking in deep breaths as you deleted the missed calls, your heart stopped at the sight of one missed phone call, followed by a voicemail. An unknown number.

Unlocking your phone and opening the voicemail, you clicked the play button before bringing it to your ear with a shaky breath. For some reason, you knew who it was, you felt it in your gut.

Hearing whoever it was take in a deep breath, you bit your bottom lip as you fumbled with your skirt. "Y/N... It's Kylo. I know I must be the last person you want to hear... Maybe you don't want to hear me at all but— but I need to... I hope you're safe, wherever you are. If you've moved out of the city or—" Hearing his breath hitch, you gulped, "out of the state... I just— No one has heard from you and I know for a fact Phasma is worried..." At the sound of a long pause, you bit on your bottom lip even harder. "I'm worried—" His voice cracked as you frowned. "I—" sucking in a deep breath, Kylo sighed before hanging up. It was almost as if, whatever he was about to say, sounded stupid in his mind and he prevented himself from letting it out.

Lowering your phone and eyeing the message, hovering your thumb over it and deciding whether or not to delete it, your phone vibrated as an unknown number appeared on your screen. Feeling your hand shake as you eyed it, knowing very well it was the same unknown number from the voicemail—Kylo's—your breath hitched.

Sliding your thumb across the screen and answering the call, your trembling hand brought your phone to your ear as you sat in silence. "Y/N? Y/N?" Hearing Kylo's voice, you gasped. "Please, Y/N?" Letting the phone drop from your grip as you blinked away the tears that formed in your eyes, you quickly grabbed your phone and hung up on him, placing it in the cup holder and taking in a shaky breath.

"It's not worth it." You told yourself, feeling yourself on the brink of meltdown. "He's not worth it." Backing out of the parking space and leaving the garage, you aimed for your home.