The Promise

Celeste at the age of 5 years old, POV

My father left us three years ago, when I was only two. My mother was always mad at him for the words he said before leaving. "I don't want to live with an ugly child! So I'm leaving, and never coming back."

I never knew what he meant, I was only a baby back then, but now that I was a child, I knew exactly what he meant, and I wanted to get revenge on that man.

My mother had trouble taking care of me, she didn't have the money, nor the house. Yes, we lived in the middle of the woods and hunt the deers or whatever came in front of us for my mom to kill with her bow'n arrow.

I bounced up and down on the branch on the tree, not paying attention to anything, I was in my own little world.

When I grow up, I hope to be in Lord Salem's team, I want to be in his truce. I heard so much about them at how powerful they were, and had so much respect from the village. If you didn't have respect for them, you would be on their 'to kill' list. How they dressed was amazing, Lord Salem told them to dress the color of their eyes, which was fascinating. Most of them had crystal blue eyes, green orbs, red as blood and black as night. My eyes were only grey, which was ugly, I couldn't imagine the Lord taking me in his team, he must think I'm some sort of loser, you know?

I was cut off of my thoughts when someone was standing in front of me. A gasp escaped my lips, and I got off the tree branch and bowed to the unexpected guest.

"H-hello Lord S-Salem." I said quietly, looking at the ground, scared to look into his eyes.

"Hello Celeste." He started, looking at me still bowed down. "You may look up now young one, I'm only here to speak to your mother, where is she?" He asked, while looking at my face.

"Um.... Uh.... She went, um, hunting for food my Lord." I replied, not looking at his intense grey eyes.

He sighed in annoyance. "Why do you and your mother live here, Celeste?" He asked, looking at me sit back on my tree branch.

I looked up at him, and met his intense eyes I didn't want to look at. I was lost, and he knew it as a smirk appeared on his face. "Celeste?" He asked, and I looked away, my cheeks heating up.

I was about to say something when I was cut off. "Lord Salem, it's a pleasure to see you here today." My mom said, bowing and then coming towards us with a smile plastered on her face.

"Hello Maggie." He said, seeming annoyed.

"I was hoping you could help me with a problem my Lord." She said, glaring at me. I was scared, even more scared, terrified I might say! She never looked at me like this before, and I didn't want her too either.

He looked at my mother, then me. He could see I was terrified. He looked back at my mom and whispered something, and she nodded, walking away from me, with the Lord behind her.

I looked around my tree, and found my pocket knife hidden behind a pack of leaves. I grabbed it and climbed the tree, until I got to my wooden platform I built. I looked around and saw my mother and the Lord, so I bent down, and kept myself hidden, so they wouldn't notice me. I looked as they argued, and then the Lord took out his sword.

"You shouldn't be watching that, young one." Said an unknown voice in a whisper.

I stayed mobile, to scared to move. "W-who's there?" I whispered, holding on tightly to my pocket knife, never taking my eyes off my mother and the Lord.

"I'm the Lord's strongest guard." Said the unknown stranger.

A gasp escaped my lips and I turned around to look at the person. She wasn't joking, she was fully dressed in a red tight suit, her long black hair was tied up in a high ponytail tied by the red fabric of her outfit. She had a huge weapon tied on her left side, and she also had a little knife tied to her right arm. She looked amazing, like she was a dream.