hady

We let the everling lead the way. We stood with our palms out, aiming at the back of her head. I couldn't help but second guess our decision. On one hand, she was a lead. It was luck that we ran into her, or we'd have to come back and repeat what we have been doing for months. Searching without finding anything. Maybe with one less member, even. My thoughts floated to what Alex told me earlier that morning.

But we couldn't trust her, not really. Alex did a good job in making her believe that we do. That we were stupid enough to think believe if the potion did nothing to Alex in midland, it wasn't harmful. I wanted to yell all kinds of things at Alex, though. That crazy, suicidal bitch. God! Why did she have to put herself in such situations? Why did she act as though she was expendable or do these self-sacrificing acts! It was stupid. It was unnecessary. We could have found another way.

Our previous brush with Penhara could have ended disastrously, especially when Alex began attacking them. Funnily, we were lucky enough to walk away from the massacre.

Now, she claimed to be part of another faction. Who knew what we were walking into? Suddenly, the words from the interview Daniel gave flashed in my mind.

Sometimes you need to take a leap of faith. Or something to that extent. We were definitely jumping now.

We were led into a village of sorts. One second we were walking towards a cliff and the next, it was the forest again but filled with silver domes.

"What the-" Alex exclaimed.

"Holograms." Daniel said, "Very sophisticated holos."

"This is our base." Hoayin said. Two other everlings approached us with what looked like spears. They exchanged a series of foreign-sounding words.

"These are here to see the council of Kyhait." Hoayin announced at last, shooting us a look that seemed smug as if to say, I spoke the truth.

The base was filled with everlings, some wore crowns of twigs and some bore white marks on their faces. All were armed. There were even humans milling about, wearing their translucent skins. They didn't seem to be held here against their will. In fact, they seemed to be a part of this community.

"Don't you guys have kids?" Alex asked, as if forgetting our existing hostility and is now making casual conversation.

"Our children are well protected." Hoayin replied simply.

"What are the humans for?" I pointed out.

"Allies," Hoayin answered, "some joined of their own accord, others were rescued from Penhara."

"Were you responsible for freeing any, as a spy?" Daniel asked.

Hoayin's eyes narrowed minutely, "No."

The council was not what I expected. I thought there would be long robes and feeling intimidated, but they were all just the same. Two wore the stick-crowns and the rest had white on their faces and bodies.

"We have yet to meet for far too long," One of them wearing a crown of twigs spoke with a hollow voice that seemed to rasp into nothing.

It crossed its arms and tapped its own shoulders with long, spidery fingers before lowering its head, "Cladahien." Then it straightened and looked at us.

"Daniel Everleigh." Daniel said and taking from his cue, Alex and I introduced ourselves.

"Well met." Cladahien said.

"We have heard plenty about these humans who defy the serum." A new voice with the same metallic tang rang out.

I made a mental note that both sound different from Hoayin. Where she sounds as though she inhales while she speaks, making her sound unearthly... These two sound as if they were speaking with their last breath.