alex

I leapt into action as they scrambled for an explanation

I leapt into action as they scrambled for an explanation. Having seen how Danny activated his biotech gun, I grabbed a fistful of bullets from my cassette and aimed at the ones closest to me. The moment the bullet hit its flesh, I realized the extent of their lies.

Muraedin began to sizzle before our eyes.

"Holy shit, Alex! What are you doing!" Hady screamed as the rest of them got into battle positions.

"Filthy abnormals!" One of the everling snarled.

"Filthy liars!" I cried back, taking aim and missing. These creatures were FAST. Before I knew it, the one named Nuthran was breathing in my face, hissing, "I will enjoy ripping the skin from your-"

I spat. I'm not proud of what I did, but I spat in its soulless black eyes. Then I punched it with my armed hand. The everling's head crumpled from where the bullet pierced. It was horrifying.

"So much for best fighter." The grim words were out of my mouth before I could stop them. I glance at Hady and Danny who were straddling another one of them. I made my way towards it calmly and lifted my left arm.

"No, Alex, wait!" But it was too late. The bullet found flesh and began melting the everling into wisps of smoke and air.

"Where's the other one?" I asked, looking around with senses on fire. I had never been more alert, or alive.

"Hoayin." Danny said in a defeated voice. I turn my head back and see that the last everling has both her hands up, each pointing to one of them.

"No! Wait." I cried.

"Did you? Where was your mercy?"

"It was me!" I pleaded, "Not them." I took a small step forward, praying. Hoping. "I killed your friends."

"They were not my friends." It spat furiously. "Months I had been trying to infiltrate them and you disrupt everything with your rash actions!"

"What? You're a... Spy?"

"Intelligence is worth more than-" It broke off suddenly, "No matter. I have learnt a great deal more today than I ever had reason to."

Just as it closed its fist, Danny whirled its hand back on itself, shoving with enough weight that Hady was knocked safely out of the way.

"What kind of intelligence?" Danny snarled, holding its hand up against its throat. The everling looked like a monster. Its features rearranged itself, set deeply in furrows of anger.

"Tell us!" I said, approaching Hoayin. "What are you, and why are you lying to us?"

There was a flash of silver reflected in its eyes and the lines started disappearing, its expression relaxing in surrender. "Would you believe me?"

The word were soft and unassuming. Then, swifter than my eyes could follow she whipped her arm up, catching Daniel in the jaw. He flew a few feet away and when we looked back, Hoayin was disappearing into the woods.