Chapter Eleven

From behind a bush a pretty she-cat emerged. “Hello Mazy! Sorry Dove, I forgot to mention the other two cats that live here with me and my twolegs, they are new.” He gestured to the second grey she-cat that had joined them. “This is Lizzy, they just moved here from another twoleg nest. Mazy and Lizzy, this is Dove from my old clan I told you about, and her friend Flame,” Flame and Dove nodded at the pair. Flame was glad that Cheese and Dove had stopped reminiscing about their clan. He started comparing himself with the rippling muscles that Cheese had. His eyes wandered to Dove’s eyes. They were sparkling with glee. Suddenly there came a barking and pounding paw steps. The stench got to Flame first. “Dog!” He yowled. Dove scrambled up a nearby tree, closely followed by Flame. Looking down, they saw that Lizzy, Mazy and Cheese were still on the ground. Dove prepared to jump, but Flame stopped her. The dog charged from around the house. “It’s huge!” Dove breathed. When the dog got to the three cats that remained grounded, it stopped. It lay down beside Cheese, and started licking him. The two cats in the tree hesitantly climbed down. Cheese laughed as the dog sniffed the new cats inquisitively. His search complete, the dog wandered aimlessly around a corner. Dove was trembling, “What was that?” she whispered. Cheese jovially answered, “That was just the dog, he is perfectly harmless, Dove,” unconcerned, he turned and said, “You are very welcome to spend a few days here, if you like.” Flame nodded, “We might need to talk it over, thank you.” He turned to the still shaken Dove and mewed softly, “Do you want to stay?” She nodded a retreated to an alcove in a rose bush. “Wow,” Flame breathed. Dove looked up sharply, “What?” he shook his head, “You look really beautiful laying there,” Dove daintily examined her bed of white rose petals and smiled, “Thank you,” Flame trotted off to find something to make his bed with.

 After a week’s stay at the twoleg nest with the others, Flame and Dove grew uneasy with the kittypet life and decided to move on. “Why don’t you both stay? It’s a life of ease, but I didn’t loose my hunting skills! Come on! You have no idea how good cream tastes! Please stay,” Cheese pleaded. “Cheese,” Dove said sternly, “I do not have time for your kit like attitude, I’ve enjoyed our time that we spent dwelling in the past, but this is the present. It is time to move on,” Flame agreed “Yes, it’s high time we moved to the next place,” It was settled, they would move out in the morning. Dove sighed, it had been good to be with someone from her clan. A new thought passed her mind, what if there were more than her one clan? What if she and Flame were to wind up in one? That would be excellent, she concluded. Renewed with vigor, she hopped out of her nest and scented the air for any sign of prey. She decided to explore and find a better place for hunting. She sneaked under drooping bushes and palmettos toward the drifting smell of night. Running up a hill, she sat on the top. Looking down, she saw that she was in the middle of a clearing. Feeling the cool, fresh air, she relaxed. The clouds surrounding her felt refreshing, and she had a perfect view of the stars. She turned and found she could see the river. If none of the other sights were fantastic, this one was. It’s sparkling top was glimmering in the Starlight. Pawsteps rustled bushes behind her. Spinning, she came face to face with Cheese. He smiled, “I never did succeed at sneaking up on you. Mind if I join you?” Dove nodded. She spoke up suddenly, “You know it wouldn’t have worked between you and me,” Cheese looked her straight in the eyes. “It could’ve,” he said bluntly. Dove looked away. “Adderpelt was a good cat, better than Cheese,” she meowed. Cheese looked uncomfortable, “They are the same cat, Dove,” Dove’s eyes lit up, “You could come with us!” Cheese looked startled, “You and I?” Dove looked down, “Flame too,” Cheese looked startled, “You love him don’t you?” he accused. It was Dove’s turn to look startled, “Love?” it was a new thought to her. Cheese turned angry, “All this time you were leading me on! You loved him, not me!” Dove was perplexed, “What? How did I lead you on?” But it was too late, he had run off.