Chapter Nine

“From there we healed, then split up. I guess I’ll never see them again,” Flame had been quietly padding along beside her the five days it took to tell. “And now we are both loners,” he sighed, “Your pain must be great. I am honored you told me,” “Who knows?” laughed Dovewing, “It might come in handy someday,” They plodded on, feeling relived of the burden of stress. Stopping to hunt, they caught some skinny prey - on account of the drought - and made a small pile. “Having a fresh-kill pile makes it more home like,” said Dovewing. “It has been a great journey so far, no hunger, sickness, or hardships,” Flame agreed readily, “Definitely, nothing like the fables the nursing cats and Old Ones tell to scare other cats into not running off,” Dovewing looked at him questioningly, “What?” “The Old Ones, Stoneteller and the nursing cats like to tell stories to convince the young cats into not running off when they grow. In one tale, the cat finds himself inside a bramble patch with a badger,” Dovewing shivered, “I can’t believe that your tribe would stretch so far just to keep you guys in. Its awful,” “I used to believe every one, they were told so matter-of-factly to their listeners,” They continued to walk and talk for a while, then both fell silent. The sun went down on the next ridge and Flame remarked, “Even the colors in the sky can’t make up for the radiant sea of colors when the sun dives into water at the Tribe of Burning eclipse,” He sighed, “The beams would dance on my fur, and I would soak in every moment of it. Sun would always say ‘That tom just loves the sun, he goes there every evening,’” Dovewing moved closer, but Flame shied away, “No, no, a new era is dawning in my life, I can not let myself, I must get a hold of myself…” his stubbornness faded into soft sobs, Dovewing moved in, and this time was not rejected. She mewoed softly, “I know,”

Keeping their trek beside the river had been uneventful so far, no twoleg nests, foxes and, thankfully for Dovewing, no badgers. This ended when Flame spotted something in the distance. “What is that?” he queried. Dovewing took one look and knew what it was. She ducked behind a near by rock and motioned for Flame to follow. “That is a twoleg nest, don’t you know what it is?” he shook his head as she went on. “Twolegs  make those weird nests, and have mates and kits. It’s best to not come close to any of them, but the kits are the worst. They destroy everything in their path and like to chase cats.” “So how do we avoid them?” Flame asked. “Well, we should go around them, but we should stick to the edge of the river,” She stopped, “I have no idea what in Skyclan’s name what to do!” Flame sat where he was. “We could go check it out,” he said bluntly. Dovewing was horrified, “Check It Out?!?” she screamed, “Checking it out is the worst idea I’ve heard yet!” “Just because you’re a warrior, doesn’t mean you’re the boss! You are too young even to be a warrior! You’re stupid ‘ole leader just made you one to help you survive in battle!” he instantly recognized he had hit a tender spot. “I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to--” Dovewing slowly cut him off, “No, I do boss you around too much. Really we’re just the same age. We are loners and should not be higher than one another when we are equal. I am a loner and do not deserve the title of a warrior. Henceforth I wish for everycat to call me Dove.” Flame stood aghast. “Dovewing, er, Dove, you don’t have to change your name,” he stopped when Dove shot him a glare. They sat behind the rock and prepared to stay there for the night. “Hate sleeping next to twolegs…” Dove grumbled before she drifted off.