Chapter Thirteen

Flame trotted into the make-shift camp, his jowls full of squirrel. Dove had made two huge bundles of moss a bit away from each other, one for each cat. Dove smiled and greeted him, “Hello Flame, great catch,” her smile lightened his gaze and tightened his resolve.“Dove,” he meowed. “What?” she answered. “I have something to ask you,” She tensed, “What?” Flame dragged his bed of moss toward the other and sat. “I have been feeling like this a long time. We are both past the ages of apprintices, and I cannot go on without you.” Flame looked her straight in the face, “Dove, I love you, will you be my mate?” It was his turn to be tense. There was a moment of silence. Flame did not dare meet Dove’s eyes. “Yes!” she yowled. “Yes, yes, yes! I would love that!” Flame lifted his head. Dove’s eyes were full of joy. They hopped and skipped around the camp, full of happiness and hope.Exhausted, they fell on their beds. Flame pulled the squirrel toward their joined nest, lowering his jaws to eat. Dove copied his posture. She licked her lips and sat up. She lifted her eyes to the horizon and spotted big, purple, white topped pointed things. Flame rose as well, looking to the tall things. He sighed, “I used to hear stories of these things. Mountains, they are called; snow-covered huge things, very treacherous.” He turned back to Dove, “Leafbare is coming on fast, we need to get past the mountains before it starts,” Dove kept her gaze on the Mountains. “I’m ready.” She meowed.

They woke early the next morningto get a head start on leafbare. Still a good ways away, the mountains loomed menacingly ahead. Leaving the comfort of the willow tree, Flame realized how much he wanted to have a home again. Roaming had it’s upsides, but he really wanted a consistent pattern of comings and goings; but what he wanted the most was a cozy den to come back to. He padded determinedly on, his pelt brushing Dove’s.She swung her head around to look at him as he trotted to catch up. He smiled and went past her. She bounded into him, catching him off guard. Laughing, Flame let himself fall to the ground in mock hurt. Dove’s eyes instantly clouded with curiosity and she skidded to his side. “Flame? Are you okay?” she asked tenderly. He jumped up, knocking her to the ground, and ran ahead. He stopped and looked back. Dove recovered herself and charged him, jauntily throwing back her head as she did. His green eyes sparkled with triumph as he dodged. She fell, tumbling into the river. Emerging, she spit out water and began to churn the water with her paws. She climbed out on the bank, shaking the water out of her pelt as she did. “You did that on purpose!” she spat jokingly. Flame smiled and pressed close to her damp fur. They walked further, but by then they were both feeling hungry. Dove retreated into the forest while Flame crouched by the riverside. He quickly spooned out a pile of fish. Dove returned with two mice and a shrew, and began to eat. Flame laid by her side and intertwined his tail with hers. They finished their meal and moved on. Dove was now quite dry, so they began to trot toward their destination. Flame waved his tail through the air like a banner, proclaiming his joy to the clouds.