Scars To Your Beautiful

Start from the beginning

"I didn't say anything." The woman rose her hands up in surrender.

"You guys don't have to remind me that there was a point in our lives when we didn't talk. I can still remember them vividly." I made my way over towards the television as Demi faced her friend, a look of spite on her face as the woman shifted into her pillow more.

"You could always drop me off." Her friend brought up. "I'm not use to staying quiet about things we so openly use to discuss all the time."

"I'll do it." I stood, just as Marissa followed. Demi studied her friend for a moment, but stayed quiet on the matter of joining us. The second we made it back into the vehicle, Marissa smiled. "What?"

"She must really like you."

"I guess so." I shrugged, just before putting the car into gear. We didn't stick around nor ask if Demi wanted to tag along. I had to grab a few things anyway before I returned.

"You know, you could always tell me to shut up if I'm speaking too much."

"Okay." I blankly focused on the road.

"I can't control my mouth. Especially not when I know how much this relationship means to that idiot." Marissa waived her hand in the air as I finally gazed over at her before checking the light.

"Demi has always been so reserved with me."

"She likes protecting you."

"From what?" I wondered.

"Judging her? Seeing her differently, who knows?"

"I see her for who she is. I always have."

"Which is probably why she fell for you in the first place. I've been her friend for a long time and the moment you went out of the picture, I got to see her at her worst. And I can confidently say, even then, she was trying to protect you."

"Even when she refused to see me?" I question. "How did that one work for her?"

"Two words, Nick Jonas."

"Right." I nodded. The second we pulled up on the street, we both carried her things inside where I showed her the guest bedroom. "You know, when you came to visit Demi all those years ago, I was always a bit jealous of the two of you."

"As you should be." Marissa smiled as I glared at her. "Sorry, it's a reflex."

"You've always been irritating, you know that?"

"It's my specialty." Marissa flopped onto the bed, her eyes studying the ceiling as I scoffed.

"Just don't mess up my place, okay?"

"Can I go snooping into all of your things?"

"Tell me you're not serious."

"I'm not serious." She smiled, her voice robotically echoing.

"Don't make me regret allowing you to stay here."

"You were the one who stole my best friend from me."

"She was my best friend first." I smirked as the woman finally sat up, leaning against her elbow.

"Touché Gomez. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Maybe." I smirked, finally leaving the woman alone as I gathered a few things and made it back to Demi's. When I arrived, the entire house was pitch black. I wandered around the place, even into the bedroom but she hadn't been anywhere. Before I thought about grabbing my phone, I noticed a small flicker from the backyard. I carried myself towards the shimmering orange light, before noticing Demi was cuddled up against a lounge chair, her eyes studying the small pit of fire she had created.