Scars To Your Beautiful

~ Selena ~

"I'm not going to say it." Marissa faced me before signaling her eyes toward Demi. I hadn't said a word, shaking my head at her gestures just before we arrived back at Demi's place. The night was young, the air now cool and light. We would be taking Marissa to my place within a few hours but I could see the slight distress on Demi's face. She had went completely silent during dinner and Marissa and I bickered back and forth for the hundredth time that evening. I hadn't caught glimpse of her ex Joe until we were making our way out of the building.

The moment we arrived at the home, Demi shut the vehicle off and climbed out. I sat in place before facing Marissa in the rear once more. She was eyeing me, wondering if I would say anything but I hadn't a word to speak. Joe and I had gotten along for years and I suppose we would be on speaking terms now as well if I hadn't just crushed his brother's heart. We were associates in the least and I knew Marissa wanted to speak on it.

"Five bucks says Joe is going to call you tonight." The woman smirked.

"Why would he?" I questioned, shaking my head as she shrugged.

"You practically gave him the cold shoulder."

"We all did." I answered just as the woman glanced ahead. Demi had somehow noticed us still speaking in the car and faced us.

"I'm not passing judgment, but you just saw your ex's brother, whom also use to date that woman right there." She signaled towards Demi. "You're brewing a very hot pot Gomez."

"I don't even know what that means."

"Sure." Marissa climbed out as I followed before we all made it inside to grab her things. Demi was still shifting around the space quietly observing me from the corner of her eyes.

"Are you okay?" I finally ask, stopping as she nods.

"Yeah. I'm just finding L.A. to be a very small place. Smaller than it use to be."

"It was always this size. You just so happen to take notice after such a long time." I smirked, finally helping Marissa with the last of her things. Demi had taken my side once I made it into the living room, a sigh on her lips. "What is it?"

"I haven't seen Joe in forever. Last thing I heard he was getting into arguments with Kevin and Nick and split this side of the country. I wonder what brought him back."

"Maybe he came to terms with being an asshole." I smirked as Demi rolled her eyes.

"He was never an asshole, just very protective."

"What made him leave?" I ponder, just as Marissa makes her way into the room, propping her feet up on the sofa as she leaned against one of the cushioned pillows.

"What didn't?" She responded, just as Marisa scoffed.

     "Can you not add in your two cents?"

"I didn't say a word. I'm trying to play nice." The brunette smiled as her roots began to show. The blonde in her hair was fading as the days went on. "But I will say that Demi here, wasn't the sweetest person back in her teen years."

"I was too." The brunette stomped.

"From what I remember," I faced the woman, "she was always kind hearted and giving."

"That's pre-breakup." Marissa spoke. "I mean... before she left you."

"What my idiot friend is trying to say, is that I was reckless when it came to other aspects in my life. Joe condoned them and we kind of fell out of touch because of the things that we did." Demi nodded to herself before facing her friend. "And I would like you, Marissa, to shut up about it. Because it's not your story to tell."