Chapter Seventeen: Cheap

Start from the beginning

     Without being able to control it anymore, we both burst out laughing. My laughs were much smaller and I cover my face while he bent over the counter, wheezing. The pair kissing looked over, just now seeing that we were here. They seemed shocked when they realized they had an audience, then became embarrassed when they saw it was Percyus.

     "Your bickering..." Percyus choked out between a laugh. "Will be the death of me."

     They're friends were laughing right along with us, clearly just as amused. I reigned control over my quiet giggles and press my hands to my cheeks in a sad attempt to make the redness go down. I took a couple seconds to catch my breath. I had never laughed like that in my entire life, and now my side aches.

     Percyus wipes at his eyes, as if he was crying, and stuck a spoonful of pudding into his mouth to distract himself. The obvious couple, who had both turned red some time ago, spluttered, "Oh, sorry, Alpha... we didn't know you were there!" Myra said.

     "Oopsies?" Riley said with a semi-convincing smile.

     "Don't worry about it, I haven't laughed like that in a while." He said with amusement clear in his crystal clear green eyes.

     "Alright, we'll just grab food to go!" Myra said, yanking on Riley's arm.

     She pulled him to the fridge, whispering hardly for him to pick something quick. However Percyus interjected, "Actually, I think that Calla and I would be perfectly fine I'm getting a blanket and sitting out in the sunny spring weather, right Calla?"

    My eyes widened and I turned to him, excitement bubbling up inside me. I had never eaten outside on a porch, the last time I ate outside it was raining and I had to eat my grains from a dog dish. "Please?" I asked with hopeful eyes.

     "Of course." He whispered to me. He then stood up and addressed Myra and Riley, where she had started stacking food containers in his arms. "No need to rush, take up all the space."

     "Thank you!" All six of them said, letting out big sighs of relief. I wouldn't blame them, they worked really hard and were probably tired out of their minds.

     Percyus handed my the pudding, "I'll go get a blanket, you go outside and pick a nice clear porch bench to sit down on."

     I nodded and trekked outside. It was still chilly and snow still covered most of the ground. The only clear patches were the fighting arenas and the porch, which had obviously been cleared in the past day. I sat took a deep breath, smelling the spring air. Soon enough all the snow would melt and the grass would be green and healthy, and maybe, just maybe, would I be able to sit out to enjoy it one day.

     I sat down on one of the benches pulled up to a table, the seat cold on my butt. I shivered, only wearing a t-shirt. It's a good thing Percyus is getting a blanket. I noticed that some wolves were still training, but in particular, two very large men in a heated argument.

     "That was a fucking cheap shot, you asshole!" One bellowed, his voice making shivers go down my spine.

     They were getting really close, as one was advancing on the other.

     "Damn right it was, but you deserved it for shit talking!" The other one sneered, shoving the other one who had been advancing.

     He was shoved back twice as hard, but still managed to stay standing. I suddenly got very worried as they were onto five or so yards from the porch, dangerously close to be having a fight. "You're fucking dead, shitface." The one said menacingly once he regained balance.

     He ran to him, going low and grabbing him around the torso. He picked him up and slammed him onto one of the tables. The table snapped in half, making the guy fall through. I shrieked in fear, being only two tables away from them. I stood up, writhing Percyus was here to stop the fight, or at least get me out. They were blocking the door, and I wasn't about to crawl through the waist high snow.

     I felt tears snake down my face, "Please stop!" I cried as they got into an all out punching, growling mess.

     They must not have heard me, as they kept fighting. The one who had initially shoved the one got the upper hand and slammed the other to the ground. I knew what that meant. The next thing I knew he was delivering violent kicks to the others sides, legs, head, and neck. I gasped in horror, knowing exactly how dreadful kicks like that were.

      The only thing he could do was cover his head, as every attempt he made at getting up was stopped with a kick to the head. His nose gushed blood, spilling all over the ground. He didn't seem anywhere near done, as if the rage on his face didn't show it clearly enough.

     I did something stupid.

     I ran forward, throwing myself in front of the the man getting beaten. "Stop!" I screamed. But it was useless as it was too late. His foot was already too far to stop. I felt his kick land right int he middle of my chest, knocking me straight backwards over the sprawled out man.

     My head smacked the ground painfully, the air knocked right out of me. I landed half on the man, hearing him groan in pain as I hit all of his fresh wounds. I rolled over in front of him, gasping for breath. I looked up to the man who had been beating him, "Now that," I gasped. "Was cheap."

~~~

Thank you for reading!

~~~