Rant

I don't know how many of you listen to BTS, but recently FIYM (forever in your memory) were talking about them on The Zack Sang Show. Ricky and Emery were supportive of the band, which is great, but what really irked me, as well as many other fellow BTS fans was what Liam said.

"I don't count BTS — I do agree they are a boy band but at the same time, they belong in a different genre on their own because I feel like there still needs to be a European or American boy band at the top and BTS can just live on their own, they're BTS," Liam said. "I can't get behind it, I don't understand what they're saying. I think it's sick, the rapping is cool I think the whole dancing, it's sick visuals but I can't go to a concert and not understand a word I'm listening to."

I don't think it should matter where a band is from. A band is a band. End of story. Music is a universal language, everyone can tell whether the song has a sad theme or a happy one from just listening to it for around 15 seconds, and lyrics can be translated to get the further meaning of the song.

Saying that, I'm an international ARMY, I'm from the UK, so I don't speak Korean as my first language. But you don't see me dissing BTS because of that. When I first listened to BTS a few years ago I wasn't really into it at first so I just kind off left it there, I wasn't rude about them. I thought it was cool but it just wasn't my type of music back then. I rally regret not giving them a second chance earlier, because now I feel like I understand the music even though I don't speak Korean. It really helps me when I'm stressed or having problems  with my friends or family. So saying that you wouldn't go to a concert were you can't 'understand' what's being said makes me sad. I really want to meet BTS one day, and I've been trying to learn Korean so I could tell them how much they have helped me.

I think people like Liam should give BTS another chance. From personal experience, they get better and better every time you hear one of their songs or see a video of them. From RM's amazing leading to Jimin's, Jungkook's, Jin's and Taehyung's vocals, to RM's, Suga's and Jhope's rapping to the smallest things about each of them, on and off stage, it's what makes them likeable to so many people around the world.

I don't know much about FIYM but I'd rather take an artist/artists that make me like them through their music whether I understand it properly or not over an artist who can't accept that not everything revolves around the textbook understanding. Music is about expressing oneself, and it can have loads of different meanings.

Furthermore, Liam also talked about how BTS would have to collab with an already famous artist from America or the UK, as well as have the song basically be just in English to get a radio hit. This annoyed me so much. BTS have worked so hard to get to where they are now, and there's Liam shitting on all of their hard work. They don't need to use some celebrities name to get a musical hit. All members of ARMY will make sure that all the work that those seven boys put in won't go to waste, I promise you that.

I hope that Ricky and Emery can get Liam to like BTS one day, but for now I'm just disappointed. The world is still adapting to all the changes that occur, some people don't accept K-Pop, others do. It's the same thing with many things now a days. I just hope one day that the whole world will agree that BTS is awesome.