Bad Together

Harley circled her neck and exhaled, her eyes closed as the elevator travelled down with them. This was too fast but there was nothing to do anymore, Roman’s parents were already there. She shook her arms a little bit to loosen her muscles. You can do this, you’ve been pretending for the last 3 years.

“It’s going to be fine,” Roman said softly as he reached for her hand and entwined their fingers. Her muscles tensed up again but she forced herself to let it go. It was funny how they fucked like savages and yet, a simple thing like holding hands felt too intimate. However, sex was just sex, physical, a need that had to be fed. “Listen, we could start looking at houses in Madrid.” He went on when he realized she wasn’t going to responde.

“Roman, it’s your house, you go and look for one, as long as you have enough space, spare room, mat, floor, whatever where I can put a blanket down, I’m fine.” She shook her head. Why would she have a word in what house he bought?

“Come on, pocket midget, you’re gonna be living with me for a year. I want you to like it, too,” he said with a smile as he tugged on her hand and she rolled her eyes with a smile.

“Fine, if we make it through this, we can look at places. Never mind you’re yet to find out if your plan works at all.” It was too early to tell if their marriage had any positive affect on his transfer plans or not.

The tabloids slowly started to publish the news of their marriage. Harley’d worked a little bit in the afternoon to get the story spread. She’d had her Instagram account set up, her user name “harleyburki”, a couple of pictures of her, of their engagement and some pictures of them together. She’d sent out a couple of anonymus tips with pictures of them, and some details about her, some syrupish story about how loved up they were with Roman.

“It works,” he stated as a matter of fact. She truly hoped that he was right because she’d hate to see what it’d do to him if they failed. She might have only known him for a few days but Harley genuinely started to like him. Roman was funny, understood her sense of humour, he was kind and in general a very good company, someone she had no doubt, she’d have a fun and chill year to wind down with. His determination to move on earnt her respect just as much as it earnt her pity.

She knew what it was like to try and work through something traumatizing, she knew what it was like to fear that you’d never be alright again. But unlike for her, there was still hope for him and she took pride in being part of the solution for him if things worked as he imagine.

The elevator haltered and the door slide open in front of them. She took a deep breath and circled her neck one more time to lose the tension. They were young, their story of falling crazily for each other was a good one, people did it all the time then they get a divorce when they realize it wasn’t love at first sight but lust at first sight.

“I love you, sugar bunny.” Roman looked at her with a sickening sweet smile on his face as they stepped out to the lobby.

“Too much.” She laughed out, felt her muscles loosening a little as her body shook lightly with her giggle.

“But it got you laugh.” He smiled and squeezed her hand lightly and they turned towards the quiet cafe area. “They are there. Are you ready?”

“I was born ready, shiny eyes.” She smirked at him and raised her chin slightly. She was going to nail this, for the sake of both of them.

They walked between the tables, most vacant, the majority of the guests already hit the night so besides an elderly couple and some girls who gave them curious looks, there was no one else in the cafe. Harley’s eyes settled on the couple with their back to them. A couple of more steps and she would have to pull her best act yet.