eight

today is the day. the day of the dance recital momo and i have been rehearsing for for weeks. all of our work will finally pay off tonight. i already feel my hands shaking in anticipation even though i just woke up. today is a saturday so, thankfully, no school. all i'll have to worry about is the performance. it's only 9:32 am and the show starts at 2:00 pm so i have plenty of time to try to perfect the dances. i also have time to prepare what i'll say to momo in any situation. but, honestly, there's no point in preparing for that since we all know she could just look at me and i'd forget i have an ability to form words at all.

i roll over to grab my phone and see a few text messages.

jeongyeon_: GOOD LUCK IN THE SHOW TONIGHT I'M SO EXCITED TO SEE YOU AND SANA YOU TWO WILL KILL IT ILU!! also i heard at lunch yesterday that im nayeon is coming so might have to slide into the seat next to her >:) shes a hottieeee BUT YOURE MORE HOT IM GOING FOR Y O U

minatozakisana: TODAY IS THE DAYYYY!!!!!!!!! ARE U EXCITED??? YOU LOOK SO GOOD IN CLASS IM SO PUMPED FOR EVERYONE TO SEE!!

i smile at those first two. i don't know how i got so lucky to have such wonderful friends that care about me as much as they do. i type a reply to them, obviously telling jeongyeon to go for nayeon and telling sana how excited i am. i look at the next message.

peachymomo: hi dahyun 😊 sorry if anything i did last night was too forward and made u uncomfortable 😔. i'm rlly excited for the show tonight, i know you'll be perfect! see u there 💕

i feel so guilty remembering what i did last night. i want to have to courage to tell her what happened, but ultimately i decide that she needs to hear in person so it sounds genuine. which means i'll have to tell her how my father is homophobic and would murder me if he even saw me look at a girl in a romantic way. that should be fun. i don't reply to momo's message and go to the last one.

dad: Hello sweetie, I know you have your dance show tonight and I wish I was able to attend, but I have so much to do today I'm afraid I can't make it. I know you will do your best and I hope you can get a recording for me. I love you so much, Dubu.

that one makes my heart sink. i know how busy he is and how much he says he has to work, but he can't take one day off? he always tells me he does all the work for me and to support me, but what about moral support? and supporting me as a performer? my dad probably has no idea that i actually love to dance and was perfecting it not only for myself, but to impress him and show him that i can work hard too. i don't reply to his message either and just turn my phone off. i feel some tears welling up in my eyes and stand up to start with my day, blinking away the tears.

i start to make some breakfast and already feel even more nerves for tonight. the dance program at my school is very prestigious and most students go to the recital. in most other schools in the world, nobody really cares about the arts programs, but not at my school, oh no. people care about everything the school does, from sports to science fairs to plays, and every event is packed. the school spirit is contagious, the only person i've met who hasn't caught it is jeongyeon. she hates this place and makes it very obvious. she is only ever willing to go to events that support me and sana, like the showcase tonight.

thinking about how many people will be there in the auditorium tonight watching us dance is terrifying. i really enjoy performing, i just know how awful at dancing i am which makes me nervous to think about the fact that practically the whole school is going to see me. i just hope everything goes as well as it did when i've been with momo.

——

after hours of doing my makeup and hair and mentally preparing for the embarrassment i'll face when i mess up on stage, i hear sana's car honking at me from outside. i take one last deep breath before grabbing my bags with my dance shoes and costumes and heading out the door.

i open up the back door to put my bags in there and sana yells back to me "DAHYUN!!!! i'm SO excited!!!! WOOO!!"

i giggle and open the door to get into the front seat and strap in.

"yes, i'm really excited too. WOOO!" i force. i hope she can't tell that internally i'm crying and so nervous that i feel like my limbs could fall off since i'll shake so much.

"i can tell you're nervous... but i know you'll be great dahyunnie, don't worry," sana says. i let out a breath i didn't realize i had been holding and nod. she's right, it can't be as bad as i think.

"thanks sana," i say softly. the rest of the ride we don't talk but we sing really loudly to sana's "driving with dahyun" playlist, not to be confused with the one she's made for jeongyeon.

we arrive at the school and i see some other girls from our class rushing into the building. i take one last deep breath and get out of the car to walk in. my nerves were already insanely high, but actually being there made it even worse. we had a bit before it started, which gave time for me to try to relax but also gave time for momo to talk to me. obviously, i'm still basically obsessed with her, but i'm nervous for what she'll say about last night.

i'm snapped out of my thoughts as i enter the school and already see crazy girls running around looking for costumes and the smell of hairspray swirling in the air. this was going to be quite the event.

sana and i make my way to the dressing room and luckily momo hasn't arrived yet. sana leaves me to put her makeup on since she didn't do it at home like i did. i stand at the entrance along for a moment until i see mina, who i met the other day and found out is chaeyoung's girlfriend, and she approaches us with a smile.

"hi dahyun," she says sweetly.

"hey, are you ready?" i ask.

"as ready as i'll ever be," she laughs "i've been doing ballet for years so i'm not too worried about that routine, but the hip hop ones sometimes trip me up."

"yeah i get that, i'm excited to see what your class has worked on though! and i've seen you dance before, you're really good,"

"thanks," she smiles.

"is chaeyoung coming?"

"oh... i d-don't know... she broke up with me the other night," she looks down. i mentally beat the absolute shit out of myself for asking such a thing. what's wrong with me???

"oh my god, i'm so sorry, mina! i had no idea i shouldn't have sa—"

"it's okay... you didn't know," she says, quietly. "really don't worry about it, it's okay,"

i just nod, i'm worried to say anything else in the event that i fuck up again.

"i actually have to help a girl from my class with her makeup, i'll talk to you later. good luck tonight!" she says before walking away. i call out a good luck to her and stand there awkwardly by myself again. i feel so horrible for even asking about chaeyoung. even if they were still together, why is it my business?? i can't help but wonder why they broke up, though.

i hear the door open behind me an spin around to be met with momo's face. she looks amazing. she has her makeup and hair done already, she added some glitter to the inner corners of her eyes to make them stand out and they do. her eyes look gorgeous, i melt into them more than i usually would. she also applied red lipstick, which was required for our opening number costume, but for some reason she looks better in it than anybody else in the whole class does, it makes her look powerful and stunning. her hair is brought into a tight bun on the top of her head, another requirement by ms. park, but momo works it better than anybody else. overall, she looks practically perfect and is definitely going to steal the show.

she looks happy to see me and luckily breaks the silence between us.

"dahyun, can we talk, please?"

——

a/n: hi! i hope you really enjoyed this update i had fun writing it actually :) comment your bias(es) from twice i'm curious shdhdhdh mine is dahyun 💓💞💗💖💕💝💘 thank you for reading!! have a wonderful day ily

(before i go, another apology for this update taking forever. thank you all for being patient with me and to all of the new (and old) readers for taking an interest in my work, it's appreciated more than you realize. i try not to rush myself to post to be sure that i write something i actually like lol. anyways, thanks again for reading!!!!)