{4} Terrorist Tower Central

Damon Winters

After Amira and I argued, I had stormed off, allowing the gentle wind to caress my worries away with the kiss of a breeze. The world had spun out of my control since we moved. My mother only forced me here because she thought being around a diverse set of students would allow me to adapt better.

But I didn't want to adapt. I didn't want to like the people who had wronged me, who had hurt me, who had absolutely betrayed me.

The rumors had been true. I did get in a fight with a Muslim student. It wasn't a regular high school fight either; there were too many complex emotions between the two of us that physical dominance had been the only rational option. It didn't make it right, but it was the cold, brutal truth.

The thing that wouldn't get out of my mind was her eyes. As my anger intensified as the minutes went on, so did her defensive walls. They rose higher with every second that skimmed past the two of us. As I stood before her in that library, I realized that Amira was no force to reckon with. She would defend her beliefs through every type of accusation no matter how true they were. As much as I hated to admit it, Amira's quick responses fueled a part of me I hadn't known.

It was free will and debate.

I didn't agree with her religious beliefs, but she argued so fiercely, so strategically that I had been at a loss for words. I admired her bravery to stand up to me like that.

Sighing, I spotted a lake up ahead, feeling a flood of relief wash over me. I needed a minute to sort through my conflicting thoughts. I had seen Amira before when I first moved in, and I remembered how different she seemed, and how normal she acted like she was just an ordinary American teen finding her way through life.

But why is she different from the rest? What makes her special?

When I arrived at the lake, I heard sobs. I looked around until my eyes landed on one beautiful creature. It was Amira. Tears streamed down her golden cheeks like a waterfall, her body shaking as she heaved deep breaths to calm herself.

What happened?

I walked a little bit closer to her and I saw her eyes and gasped. The hidden emotions in them started to show themselves. But I couldn't read them.

"Amira? Are you alright?"

She looked up at me, lips trembling. My heart broke looking at her. Her cheeks were flush and damp with tears. Sniffling, she vigorously wiped under her eyes.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me," she forced with a tight smile.

She was about to walk away, but I grabbed her arm. She winced the second I touched her. What the hell?

I pulled her arm towards me, pulling her sleeve back and saw bruises, dark and tender. "Who did this to you?" I asked, harshly. I may have had different beliefs than her, but it didn't make me completely heartless to a girl who needed a shoulder to cry on.

My chest ached at seeing her pain-ridden eyes, a mixture of fear and heartbreak. This was the same girl who matched my fervor in argumentative debates, the same girl who challenged me in a way that no one had ever dared, and here she was completely shattered beyond recognition.

She pulled her arm back and looked back at me. "Nothing. I just hurt myself," she said calmly.

"That's bull. I know you're lying. Why were you crying and why do you have bruises?"

"Nothing happened. Just leave me alone," she mumbled.

"Amira-"

"I'm sorry but I have to go," she whispered, running away in panic.

I called after her, but she disappeared. What the hell? Something about this girl had me going for her, had me feeling sympathy for her. That high school fight became a lost memory as I tried to search for any reason of her distress.

I didn't even know why I cared for a girl associated with a terrorist religion.

She's not a terrorist. She's different, my inner thoughts contradicted.

Yeah, right. They were all the same. They tricked people with their amicable ways and pounced when someone's guard was down. After all, that was exactly what happened at my old school.

Assalaamualaikum guys!

Ramadan kareem everyone! Strive to hold your fast this year and stay away from the forbidden. Strive to do good and please Allah (SWT). Remember to vote, comment, and fan! Thanks:)

 Remember to vote, comment, and fan! Thanks:)