Chapter Twenty-Three: Astoria

Start from the beginning

Flora, who had been in the lead of their walk, looked behind her shoulder before stopping and turning to Astoria.

"Plus, we can't keep making the excuse that spilling pure-blood would be a waste to them. Blood traitor is just as bad as muggle-borns these days." Flora added gravely. "We're running out of excuses, Tori. Soon enough, Uncle Amycus could give a shit if he starts hurting his own nieces."

Astoria was affronted. Perhaps she had been rather selfish in the past month. The last thing she would want was for Flora and Hestia to get into much trouble as her. She didn't even realize she was also risking the lives of her friends with her defiance. And yet, even as she heeded the twins' words—there was always that gut feeling that stuck to her that made her see differently.

Before she could answer Flora, she caught something move at her left peripheral. A student dressed in Hufflepuff robes hobbled out of the dreadful Dark Arts classroom Astoria had grown to hate. She saw the student's body quiver, causing Astoria's heart to sink into her stomach.

"I-I have to go." Astoria told the twins, barely looking at them this time as she paid more attention to the student that was now holding onto a protruding wall for balance. "I'll see you guys later."

"Astoria—" Hestia warned, but Astoria was already making her way towards the Hufflepuff who stood shaking at the end of the hallway.

Hestia and Flora's calls fell on deaf ears as Astoria approached the student cautiously.

"Do you need any help?" Astoria asked carefully.

The Hufflepuff jumped in surprise, whirling to see who had caught her off guard. She was a pink-faced girl with blonde hair, silver eyes full of tears as she took a frightful step back away from Astoria. Astoria soon recognized the girl to be Hannah Abbott, one of the Prefects she met in the Prefect compartment in the train.

Even though Astoria was younger, Hannah drew out her wand and pointed it at her threateningly.

"What do you want? Are you here to hurt me too? Get the job done, ey?" Hannah asked defiantly, though her voice quivered as she spoke. "I've told Amycus that I won't do it again, I swear! Just please leave me alone!"

"I'm not here to hurt you, Hannah. I promise." Astoria shook her head as she stayed where she was, even though she was compelled to come closer. "I'm Astoria, remember? I'm one of the new Slytherin prefects."

"Of course! A Slytherin. You'd use your new authority against me, I bet." Hannah testified, her face scrunching up in disgust. Even as she held her wand aloft, Astoria did nothing to take out hers. The Hufflepuff's hand shook as she pointed at Astoria. "Well, I may have little authority, but I'm still Prefect too! I can take away your points as much as you can with me!"

Astoria realized then that she wasn't the first Slytherin Prefect Hannah's had the displeasure of coming across. She could easily put together how her fellow Slytherins were using their new-found authority against any other innocent student. This enraged her, but she kept her cool on the outside.

"I'm not going to do that. Look, here." Astoria brandished her wand, causing Hannah to squeal but she kept her wand pointed still. Carefully, Astoria leaned down to put her wand on the floor before leaning back up to show her empty hands. She then kicked her wand towards Hannah, the wood rolling to a stop at the Hufflepuff's feet. "See? No wand. Please, Hannah. I'm not here to hurt you."

Hannah looked shaken, her gaze switching between the Slytherin's rosewood wand at her foot then at Astoria. She remained skeptic and fretful for a moment before she slowly lowered her wand, sniffling before taking the wand from the floor.