Breakthrough

In the last couple of days the team has been working and practicing very hard for their game with the dark horse of the tournament: Yakushi High School. They thought for sure that they were going to face off against Ichidai Third High in the quarterfinals, but Yakushi had a fearsome first year batter that changed the tide of the game with one monstrous swing. His name was Todoroki Raichi. With a batter like that on the opposite team it meant that it was up to the pitchers to step up to the plate and figure out a way to stop Todoroki. As if that wasn't enough, Yakushi also had their ace Sanada Shunpei who basically was the improved version of Sawamura which meant that their batting lineup had to work twice as hard as well.

Facing such a formidable team like Yakushi was scary because this was a single elimination tournament but at the same time it was exciting for Miyuki. He loved challenges and figuring out ways to defeat strong teams since that was what makes baseball so much fun. Practicing for the game occupied most of his time which didn't allow him spend time with his girlfriend. This was not a surprise to neither of them since they knew that he was going to be extremely busy during the season. Ai was also very understanding and didn't hold this against him and was very supportive of him as well. However, that didn't mean that he liked being apart from her for so long. They haven't seen each other since that night when she gave him his 'special reward' which was not that long ago but he still missed her. Was he starting to become clingy? That was the last thing he needed.

Although Miyuki hasn't spent time with Ai in the last couple of days and his mind has been occupied with his catcher responsibilities, he has noticed that there is something wrong with Ai when they have talked on the phone or texted. She seems distant which is weird because she was just fine when he left her at her house. Ai looked very happy, they had sex, and he stayed for a little longer after that. She was fine and nothing seemed to indicate that she was upset. But Miyuki knew her and noticed right away how her mood seemed to change overnight. Aside from being distant as if her mind was elsewhere, he noticed some sadness and dejection in her tone, and promptly asked her if there was something wrong but she insisted that she was fine and was only a bit tired from school. Even though Miyuki thought of that at first, he quickly rejected the idea because he has seen Ai tired and stressed from school before and it was nothing like she was acting now. Usually she would be more snappy, frazzled, and not in the mood to be joking around with him. But since the last two days she hasn't been acting that way and instead she wasn't very talkative or interested in any of the conversations that they had. She also didn't respond to his texts as frequently as she used to or pick up her phone and when she finally did then she would give him some bogus excuse.

Miyuki needed to confront her soon but with the game tomorrow he couldn't go see her at her house. He desperately wanted to know what was wrong with Ai. The idea of Ai being distraught or in pain just doesn't sit well with him. He always wanted her to be happy because that is just what she deserves and just how he likes to see her. He was also curious about her issue because whatever happened must be really big since it hasn't been a long time since she was fine. That really scared him. What if it was something so bad that not even he could fix? Ai was not just sick once but twice in the past, what if she got sick a third time and doesn't want to tell him?

'No, no, of course not.' Miyuki shook those negative thoughts away. Typical him of always assuming the worst. She was physically fine so she wouldn't be sick. 'Yes, she was fine.' Miyuki reassured himself. But not for long because then he dwelled on some more negative thoughts. Why didn't she want to tell him? He was her boyfriend after all and he feels like he has the right to know what's wrong with her. Doesn't she trust him? Granted, he was not always physically there for her since he was always busy but he really wanted to be there for her. He wanted her to share all what happens in her life and her feelings with him so he could console her if needed. Miyuki doesn't want any more secrets between them because secrets was what affected their relationship at first.