Was this really happening?

Hermione stood rigid as Fred ran his fingers through her long hair. Was this really happening? Hermione had never thought of Fred this way, he was just her friend’s older brother; Hermione had no romantic feelings for him what so ever.

Fred finally pulled away from Hermione with an intake of air. His arms dropped to his sides and he just stood there, looking deep into Hermione’s eyes. He was smiling and his eyes were gleaming as if he was the happiest guy in the world.

But the gleam quickly faded as Hermione’s facial expression remained shocked and she didn’t say a word.

“Hermione…” Fred started, reaching towards her, but Hermione jumped back and wouldn’t let him touch her.

“Hermione, I’m sorry.” Fred said. The usual glee had completely disappeared from his face to be replaced with a looking of utter sadness and fear; he looked more like Percy than like George at that moment.

Hermione hated seeing Fred like this but she couldn’t pretend that she felt any differently than she did.

Hermione slowly turned around, and without a word she ran down the stairs, her hair flying behind her as she went.

Fred was devastated. He had honestly thought for a moment that Hermione might love him, might want to be with him, but obviously he was wrong.

Fred walked up the stairs of 12 Grimmauld Place. He was so upset with himself, he had to do something to take his mind of Hermione, but nothing would work. He tried everything from working on products for the joke shop to doing homework, but when he opened his transfiguration textbook he found an essay that Hermione had fixed for him. It brought back memories of that day, they had laughed together over his atrocious spelling and Hermione had looked at him in a disapproving way when he said he would just turn McGonagall into a teapot. It was at that moment he had realized that he loved her. All this memory did was bring a tear to Fred’s eye, and before he knew what was happening he was crying into his pillow, the essay clutched tight to his chest.