Evelyn nodded her head ignoring the tears that fell at the motion, "I'm so in love with him Aubrey," she cried quietly as she admitted those words out loud.

Taking her into her arms, Aubrey kissed Evelyn's hair soothing the crying girl's emotions as much as she could.

"I know you do babe I know you do," she sighed softly. "You guys are one of the most pure couples I've ever come across, but sometimes love doesn't mean happiness. Most times, it causes pain more than anything and that happens when you guys have problems you haven't addressed. You pushed it under the rug and it's time to confront them."

"What would I do without you?" Evelyn whispered as a tiny laugh bubbled up inside her.

Aubrey shrugged flicking Evelyn's forehead playfully, "I have no clue."

As the two got into more lighter topics to lighten the mood, their previous conversation played repeatedly in Evelyn's head.

She knew what she had to do.

~•~

They were walking along the river bank, hands held as if nothing was wrong. But she knew what was about to happen.

Sometimes, she wondered if her and Maddox were supposed to just be a moment. It never seemed like they were meant to be something that stayed continuous. So with that thought, she let a little part of herself mourn over what was and what could've been.

He didn't talk to her anymore. He kept to himself and barely acknowledged her unless she spoke first. His one hand held hers without any grip, it was lax and dead as if he was engaging with her simply because that's what she wanted. Not what he wanted. His other hand held his phone in which his attention seemed to be drawn into immensely.

"Maddox?"

His head bobbed up before turning a little to look at her, "What?" he spoke without any sort of interest to really hear what she was going to say.

Not wanting the moment to end before she had to, she shook her head and mumbled a small 'never mind' before continuing to walk.

The chatter from people around them was drowned out as both of them were immersed in their own thoughts. She barely felt when he shook his hand out of her grasp and shoved it in his pocket. When she felt a cool breeze hit her skin, it was then she realized that the warmth of his skin was so longer protecting hers. A traitorous tear slipped down her cheek, but she wiped it before anyone could notice or question her.

Soon enough, they had made it to a more quiet and desolate area where all they could hear was the faint crashing of waves against rocks and their own footsteps.

"Maddox," she said with exhaustion in her voice. This wasn't something she could hold off any longer. Dragging the process out wasn't exactly any better.

He barely glanced at her when she spoke and rather continued to walk forward leaving her still form behind. He wasn't planning on listening to her and she wasn't going to wait for him to give her his full attention. So she came right out with it.

"Let's end this."

The words left her mouth in a calculating mess and she watched as he stopped in his steps and his back tensed. It felt like time stood still when he finally turned around and his dark, enticing eyes found her soft ones. Her breathing had seized at the moment and she sent him a small, sorrowful smile.