the sharpest tool in the shed ~ a trophy wife in training >"

Thanks for painting out the role of women in modern society for us. It's assuring to know that the world is waiting, ready to pounce on us for any and all mistakes we make before branding us as 'pathetic airheads'. Not to mention that the media only seems to encourage such primitive behaviour. This all really begs the question of where society is headed; are we still making progress or has the world suddenly gone into a state of lies, hatred, sadism and schizophrenia?

Let me know what you think, I'll be compiling and presenting the best overall comments below in our next issue.

SockMonster1

TALK Magazine Columnist

The Great Technology Debate

What would you do if your internet crashed? How would you communicate with your friends if your phone no longer received messages? How would you feel if there was no Twitter or Instagram to keep you updated on what your friends were up to?

"I would have no idea what to do with myself," is the exact response my best friend gave.

If the thought of these things happening to you, like my friend, makes you feel lost and stressed then you are clearly not the only one. Just ask any one of the 2.9 billion internet users worldwide.

Modern technology is a brilliant thing. It has completely modernised the way we communicate, learn and work. Modern technology now allows us to be anywhere, see anything and have unlimited amounts of information with just a few touches of a button. However, as modern technology continues to advance, many people begin to argue that we are now, as a general population, too dependent on technology.

I would be one to agree with them.

Recent studies have found the average person is awake for almost 16 hours a day. 45 percent of this time is spent either online, attached to a mobile phone or watching television (Liz Thomas, 2012). This means that the average person will spend approximately 7 hours a day using some kind of technology. Can you imagine what else you could do with a spare 7 hours? Can you imagine how much more quality time you would be able to spend with friends or family?

In past times people would entertain themselves by going outdoors, starting a hobby or seeing friends and family. However, in current times one of the most popular forms of entertainment is computer games and television. I mean, really, hands up if you've ever stayed in bed all day and watched re-runs of that silly reality show when you could've been doing something much more productive.

Another example of how modern technology has created laziness can be found in the form of online shopping. Why get dressed, drive to the shops, find a park and then walk around the shops to buy what you want when you can simply just order it online and have it delivered to your door?

With it becoming easier to run errands, do your shopping and check in your family without leaving having to leave your couch, I can see the appeal. However, because of this the amount of physical activity and even face to face contact that people now have is dwindling.

I mean could you imagine actually having to write someone a letter every time you wanted to talk to them instead of sending them a text? Could you imagine the only way you could hear someone's voice or see their smile was if you went and visited them in person? Or even having to check a clock instead of your phone? Whilst more time and energy consuming it would be possible.

Another issue that the general population faces with modern technology is the increased pace that daily life now runs at. We are now expected to reply faster, have the information quicker and work more rapidly because of it.

As soon as you receive a message you're expected to reply straight away, or call someone back immediately.

I mean, really, how many times have you heard someone say to you; "Why didn't you reply to me faster?" Or, "Wait, you didn't see my post online?"

This attitude towards technology almost creates a fear that if you turn off your phone for a day that you're going to miss out on something 'important.'

When the fear that you will miss out on something when you shut off your laptop overrides spending quality time with your family or friends, is in my opinion, when the dependence on technology becomes too much.

Yes, I hear many of you now saying 'but technology has done great things for our world!' and yes, I agree with you. Technology has helped scientists work towards cures for diseases. Modern technology has also increased the standards of education that is taught worldwide.

However whilst modern technology has had many positive influences, it also has created negative habits such as laziness and a dependency on technology that can rule ones life.

So as technology continues to advance, just remember to slow down and look up from the screen and use that brain of yours! Log off your computer, turn off your phone and go outside and enjoy the moment with someone! Just simply be there and enjoy the moment, before it passes.

Amelia

Mikky3