Star Gazing

The moon and stars were layed across the night sky on the plains of Africa.All was still and calm and the animals were all asleep.The lions were now going into their dens preparing for a new day.

"Kovu? Aren't you coming in", Kiara asked.

Kovu was looking up toward the heavens into the stars. He did that a lot lately. He wondered who was up there, who was peering down over him. Maybe just maybe,he thought, his parents were up there--- his real parents.

"Yeah I'm coming in a bit", he said answering his girlfriend.

Kiara walked up to Kovu who was standing on the ledge of Pride Rock.She nuzzled underneath his chin, purring. He smiled lovingly and nuzzled her back.Kiara rested her head on his broad shoulders, staring into the sky with him. "What do you think about when you look up there?"

"I-I dunno...stuff, I guess", he said looking down sad.

She nudged him softly. "Aww, you can tell me, Kovu." He didn't respond. "...Is it Zira and Scar? ", she cautioned.

He looked at Kiara then gave a quick glimpse at the stars ,sighing, and eventually returned his gaze to the ground. "They weren't really my parents...but, its-its really nothing", he assured her, lying. " Sometimes I just like to come out here and look at the stars. They're beautiful at night time."

Kiara agreed. "They are. My dad says-"

"The great kings of the past are up there",Kovu said in unison with Kiara and they both laughed.

"Well, I'm turning in, coming with me?"

"Yeah", Kovu said giving one final look at the stars. 'I know you guys are up there, somewhere...'