The Journey Back

The two traveled side by side down the narrow path. Kiara glanced at Kovu. He had this certain smile on his face, one she hadn't seen up until yesterday. He looked genuinely happy.

Kovu felt her eyes staring at him and looked at her. "What?" , he said laughing.

She shook her head a little. "Nothing. Just admiring you. You just look so happy."

"I am, " he agreed. "Everything just seems so perfect."

"Maybe it was destiny."

"What do you mean?"

"Like all of this... ."She paused thinking for a few seconds. " Although we've hit a few bumps here and there everything seems to work out. I mean even just thinking about that dream you had. What if you never looked in the sky that night? Its a possibility that you would've never had that dream. We never would've met Aisha and Isaiah, or Joseph and Nelly. "

"Wow yeah... I never thought about that.That makes me realize even more that I shouldn't regret anything. Yeah, bad things happened that I'm not proud about, but it's not like I can just go back in time and change them. I wouldn't want to anyway. "

Kiara furrowed her brow. "Why's that? "

"Because I never would've met you. My life would be nothing without you, Kiara. You helped me conquer my demons. "

She smiled and said, "And I'd do everything all over again if I had to."

They continued to walk for about an hour or so until they reached the border of the desert. A tumbleweed rolled by in visible distance.

"If I remember correctly, we're suppose to be making a right toward the bayou."

Kiara fake coughed. "left, ahem".

Kovu turned around in his tracks and proceeded to go to the left. "Yep, I knew that."

She rolled her eyes and followed aside her mate. "Mhmm..."

Kiara couldn't help but think about what happened last night. She knew that she wanted to go back to Kishamajini and help, but how exactly would she tell her father? She couldn't just go up to him and be like, 'Oh hey daddy.Me and Kovu are gonna run off together to go stay with his parents. By the way I'm 99% positive I'm pregnant. Alright, bye!'.

Kovu was also thinking about how to tell Kiara parents. Simba probably-No, definitely would not be happy with him. He couldn't go back and change the fact he broke his promise nor could he just go skipping up to Simba like, " Hey,Simba! Long time no see! Yeah, so about that promise thing, my bad. But we're cool right? Great! So I'm just gonna take your daughter and head back to my place. Oh, I also might've gotten her pregnant. See ya!'

The two both grimaced as the scenarios played out in their heads. What were they gonna do?

The breeze carried a scent of stagnant muck. Kovu's face scrunched up as the scent filled his nostrils. "Yuck!"

Kiara giggled. "That means we're close."

They hurried their pace and sure enough they ran into the bayou. The prevalent fog set an eerie presence over the boggy marshland.

"WHOOOO! "

"Ahhh! ", Kiara shrieked.She clung close to Kovu's side.

"Calm down, princess",he said laughing."Its just an owl."

The ground was so moist that everytime they would take a step, their paw would nearly sink into the soil. It also didn't help that the gnats and mosquitoes were making a buffet out of them.