An Unexpected Guest

Alexandra waited by her father's door, smoothing out her silk navy dress. Her alabaster skin contrasted beautifully against the navy color. The wind blew slightly, giving away that a storm was coming. John answered the door to find his green-eyed daughter standing on the porch. John smiled slightly, letting her inside. "My apologies for not opening the door sooner but Cotton Mather had stopped by to visit." Cotton was in a slight daze but awoke from it once he noticed Alexandra walk into John's living room. "Oh Revered Mather how nice to see you." She curtsied, closing her eyes for a moment as she did. "It is quite lovely to see you as well, Ms.Sibley." John cringed slightly at Cotton calling his daughter that. He wished everyone knew the truth about who his daughter really was. "There is a council selectmen luncheon tomorrow. They have invited me to come as well so I was wondering, since you might already be going, since your mother has taken the place of Mr.Sibley, if you would like to join me?" Cotton said in slightly choppy, nervous sentences. "My mother has not mentioned anything about that to me but of course I will join you." Alexandra said smiling softly, noticing that the Revered was nervous. "Are you alright?" John asked Cotton, catching on immediately. Cotton nodded. "Yes, of course. I'm fine." Cotton said before grabbing his black umbrella by the door. "May I come by to escort you at noon?" "Yes. I'll see you at noon." Alexandra curtsied once again and Cotton smiled and then nodded at John. "Have a good night Mr.Alden." Cotton said before leaving, shutting the door behind him. "That young man needs to learn a lot about life." John muttered out loud. "Oh father, hush. I believe that it's just his personality." John rolled his hazel eyes. "Did you have a good day?" Alexandra asked, smiling. "Yes. Did you?" He asked and Alexandra nodded. "Are you seriously going to go to that council selectmen luncheon?" "Yes. Why wouldn't I?" "You know how I feel about the council." "I know how you feel but the luncheon is where I can chat with the wives of the councilmen and I don't get to do that but usually only once a week." "Fine Alexandra." John sighed softly, kissing her forehead. "You will always be my little girl." He knew that was his weakness, the one thing besides Mary and Little John, that bought him to his knees.