Chapter 6 ~ Mila

Chapter 6 ― Mila

I was making friends, enjoying my time at Alex’s house. All the boys were so nice and, well, normal. After a while you could totally forget that they were internationally famous. They all had characteristics that made them unique; for instance Harry was a flirt who couldn’t be stopped. Louis had this Peter Pan complex that sometimes annoyed me. Niall was really sweet and carefree. Liam was so focused and sensible; it was clear why they called him Daddy Direction. Zayn… well, he was absent, outside in the yard while the rest of us were in the living room just chatting or playing some games.

In some moment, Liam decided that Zayn couldn’t be outside all the time. “I’m gonna look for him,” he informed and we all nodded. Danielle offered to go with him but with a smile he told her it wasn’t necessary. I looked at him as he went out the house, incapable of telling myself to stop wondering if the black-haired boy was isolating himself because of our argument. I didn’t intend to be mean —too mean, at least.

I shook my head. Zayn couldn’t care that much about my opinion on him. Who was I among thousands of people who absolutely loved him? My opinion in the matter was completely insignificant.

Even though, I couldn’t stop thinking of him, wondering what was what really keeping him outside, refusing to be part of the fun.

After a while Liam came back, his face showed pure concern and it was obvious that there was something wrong with Zayn. Without even noticing, I tensed up and got sick worried, and not to forget guilty because a part of me told me it was my fault.

Liam’s chocolate eyes locked on me and I swallowed the lump in my throat. “Mila, may I talk to you for a second?” He asked me and I knew all eyes were on us, wondering what was happening. Well, I was asking myself the same thing.

I just nodded and stood up because he walked away towards the kitchen. We were alone there and his eyes looked for mine again, his expression was still of sheer concern. “What’s happening?” I asked feeling more nervous than before.

He sighed slowly and then talked. “It’s because of Zayn. He’s all gloomy outside and I know I shouldn’t mind this, but I just can’t ignore my best mate is all conflicted. He really doesn’t get why you— um— hate him. He’s not that bad, Mila. He’s a nice bloke, you need to give him a chance.”

I stood there without exactly knowing how to react. I wasn’t sure if I had to tell him to mind his own business or to tell him that I was going to give Zayn an opportunity. There was this thing about Liam that made you want to take in consideration his words, something that didn’t allow you to get mad at him for minding something he didn’t have the right to do it.

“I—” I started but I still wasn’t sure of what to do. A part of me wanted to listen to Liam, the other part wanted to turn around and walk away.

I didn’t hate Zayn, he just bothered me. His arrogance bothered me. Putting that aside, I quite liked him and even if I didn’t want to accept it, I couldn’t get him out of my mind. Even if I was talking rubbish about him, he was there since the moment we met.

“I don’t hate him,” I finally replied to Liam and he nodded like that wasn’t new information for him.

“I know that, but he’s convinced that you hate his guts and that’s why he’s outside, ‘cos he doesn’t wanna bother you with ‘his presence’.” Liam made quotations signs in the air with his fingers as a way to prove that he didn’t share that opinion. “Could you talk to him? Please,” he almost begged me with puppy eyes and a slightly pout.

“Ugh, that’s not fair, Liam,” I complained. How could I say no to that boy with that expression on his face? It was impossible. “Fine, I’ll talk to him.”