Hardin's Diner

Street lights whirled by me as a ran between pedestrians. Most made a clearing for me to run. Loose gravel crunched under my feet as I pivoted to face my well-known opponents. Two tall men, around 35 years old, faced me. They both stopped running towards me when I turned. They were almost identical to each other, but it was hard to notice that in the night. I wasn't too worried about their facial features since they both wanted to kill me were I stood.

"Well, well, well. You two haven't been active for the past few months, correct? I can tell. Both of you are so much slower. You probably haven't been sexually active either," I said. "Lay off the Coke, Marcus. It's going straight to your butt."

"He's still got that same smart ass mouth," the guy to my left, Marcus, muttered to his partner. "Tell me son, will you still be making those stupid comments when I torture the living shit out of you?"

"Depends, really. Only if you tape my mouth shut," I said. I started tapping my fingers against nothing in a pattern. "I really would love to chat boys, but I have to get home soon. Studying for math and all."

"Here's a practice question for you," said Dameon, the guy to my right. "What are the odds of two against one?"

"I don't think the odds matter right now, since I've already won," I said. I pulled on an invisible cord, and felt my powers surge. Time slowed. Telephone poles around me shook as I used their wires to my advantage. My ability to control almost anything with enough electricity came to an advantage in two against one. The wires fell, then came to life like snakes. They slithered their way to Marcus and Dameon, coiling around their feet. It all happened in a split second, Marcus and Dameon hardly stood a chance. It was almost too easy, but I couldn't really complain. The two men were both pulled off their feet and into the air. By now the cops had caught up with us, guns out. Two had a pair of handcuffs ready for Marcus and Dameon. I used the wires to grab their flailing hands. Both of them were dangling upside down by their feet when they were handcuffed. Once they were secured I set them down not too gently.

I had reason not to. These stupid men have bombed numerous buildings until I stepped in. Tonight they were about to bomb St. Anthony's Hospital, but I stopped the bomb before it could blow up. Marcus and Dameon hadn't been active for a long time until now. I honestly hadn't thought that I would see their sour faces again.

They were too easy to beat. All normal humans were. I've never truly went up against someone else with powers, and I was sad yet okay with it. Sometimes all a city needs is another hand to help out. A hand with electric powers.

The cops didn't get to say anything to me. I zoomed out of there before they could arrest me or something for destroying the phone poles. And it was getting late. When I got to my house no lights were on, so I thought it was safe to go inside. I climbed through my window and shed my suit. The material was self cleaning, like a lot of material nowadays.

I took a shower, not worried about waking my parents since they're heavy sleepers. The Lord has blessed me. I wrapped a towel around my waist and walked inside my room. I shook excess water out of my hair and put green pajama pants on. I relaxed as I lay down on my neatly made bed. Tonight was a good night, I got Marcus and Dameon, and my parents still think I'm in the play. My cover is safe for now.

*****

I woke up with a dreadful realization.

My parents are going to be really suspicious when I'm not in the play in December.

Groaning, I got up to style my hair. I had a pair of tan khaki pants, a blue polo, and black converse waiting for me. I also packed my stuff for soccer in a draw string bag and put that in my regular book bag. Finally I grabbed a granola bar and ran out the door to pick up Valy.