CHAPTER 2: The Art of Tea and Irritation

Start from the beginning

"Really? A book about cats? And what are you gonna name it? The A-hole next door?" She sarcastically thought, still face palming.

"A book?" Aunt Julie wondered, still unsure of what she just heard.

"About cats." She included.

"And specifically what type of help do you need me to provide you with?" Aunt Julie asked her, still unsure.

"Details. I need details. In order for me to write a book, I must know where my cat was originally from. I need it for uh...the plot" Avery stated.

I clearly have no idea of what i'm talking about.

Finally I shall find out where my cat came from.

"Ummm... Are you sure about this, dear?" Aunt Julie wondered, a bit uncertain.

"Absolutely." Avery answered, calmly.

"Your cat was given by someone..rather special, it was a long time ago. I'm sure you wouldn't remember him and he's been gone for a long time now." Aunt Julie discloses, looking down at the wooden spoon that she was holding.

"Oh." She replied, surprised. Avery noticed that Aunt Julie behaved strangely and that bothered her.

"I should head back to the kitchen. Don't want your breakfast burnt now do we? "Aunt Julie smiled and left the living room in a hurry.

Avery stood there for a couple of minutes deep in thought but hearing Chloe meow brought her back to reality. Avery bent down and scratched the cat's fur with a smile "Hello there. Where you've been huh?" She asked with a hint of enthusiasm in her voice but suddenly she thought of Alex, her smile suddenly fades at the thought of him kicking her cat.

Alex's a handsome, compact guy, he was fit, muscular with dark brown hair and eyes, and a strong jaw. He was truly handsome, but Avery would never admit that. With that broad shoulders...Wait what am I thinking?

Avery never had a crush on him, just dislike and hatred. Even when she first met him, she ignored his looks and examined his personality.

Avery quickly remembered Nash and checked her phone '10 am'.

"Better get ready." She said to herself.

When she got out of the bathroom she quickly got dressed and walked downstairs, checked her watch '1 pm'. Then, she grabbed her keys from her pockets and went to the garage to get her black dodge neon. Avery quickly got in, she started the engine and then drove out of their drive way and away from her house.

The car is a secondhand, meaning it had some engine issues so sometimes she would have trouble starting it up and she would most of the time bring it to the mechanic.

As she drove to a nearby coffee shop, she parked her car and headed in. There were a few customers already eating and some were chatting, she sat alone in a booth and took out her favorite book. She sat alone in the corner with solitude.

"Hello Ms, shall I take your order?" The waiter said looking at her, holding his pen and notepad. "Perhaps some tea." She replied, with a genuine smile.

Avert took her reading glasses from her bag, and its violet container. She wiped it before putting it on. Whilst waiting started to read a book, a bit startled when she saw someone spoke in front of her without any warning.

"Good morning." She espied Alex standing in front of her, his hands in his pockets and a smile plastered on his face.

"I should say the same" She spoke her words coated with irritation and pushing her eyeglasses to the bridge of her nose preventing it from falling.

"You should." He responded with a smirk.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" She irritatingly questioned, looking at him. "Wait. You're a waitress?" He questioned, surprised.

"Absolutely not!" She gave him a disapproving look. "Let me just tell you this, some famous people start off as a waitress or a waiter." He informed.

"You made it sound like it's a terrible thing to do." Alex added, as he stood in front of her.

"Apologies." Avery retorted making the man chuckle at her response.

"You seem better today. Haven't drank your morning remedy?" She wondered, sarcastically.

"Remedy?" Alex questioningly repeated, not sure of what she was trying to say.

"The beer?" She spoke bluntly. How could he forget?

"Oh. Those. They're not that tough." He disclosed.

Clearly, the beer wasn't the one who affected him, it was the liquor. He wouldn't even buy beers but the ones he had were just gifts from an old pal.

Silence filled the air between them but soon he decided to just walk away as Avery was now occupied with her book. He sat down on a booth next to hers, taking his laptop from his bag and got ready to work. She sighed in relief when he left her and went back to reading.

"Miss, you sigh like you held your breath while speaking to me." Alex spoke from behind her, his eyes glued to his laptop.

She zipped her mouth and just continued reading. Alex on the other hand, looked over his shoulder to take a glimpse of Avery. He took his phone and called someone.

"Hello sir. Yes sir. I would do that sir....I'm already finishing it sir.....I'll send it later sir." He spoke loudly making Avery not being able to concentrate so she moved to another booth, surely away from the annoying man.

"This man is a churl." She stated, shaking her head while continuing to read the book. She sighed sharply and told herself, "Well, Libraries are more advisable to read but it was worth a try." Avery shrugged as she carried on reading the good piece of novel.

She surely can't blame him with the fact that this place wasn't right for reading. It wasn't quiet but she expected people to groggily step in the two doors and eat quietly as they enjoyed their meals but no, she was indeed wrong. Avery just eyed the people were there, busy talking to each other, some were even talking on the phone like Alex.

Speaking of Alex, she noticed that he paused from eating his meal but instead typed on his laptop that he carried when he first walked it. He owns a lot of alcohol but food? She smiled at the thought. It seemed like alcohol was more important to him than anything in this world but then again, he worshipped his car and cherished it like his life depended on it or was it just because it had sentimental value? Maybe.

He seemed like he was in a good mood. Coffee perhaps? or was it the beer? wrong side of the bed?

It came to her realisation that she had stopped reading the book and was just consumed by her thoughts. "I think too much lately." She muttered, shaking her head in a disapproving manner as she flipped the pages of her book to the next chapter and carried on reading while taking sips of her tea. The warmth of the tea made her more relaxed and comfortable as she sat on the booth alone.

"Alex." She spoke softly, gaining the attention of the man who sat inches from her.

"Yes?" His brows rose up as he looked at her and away from his laptop.

"Would it be possible if you could keep it down there?" She spoke, her voice mellow. When he looked at her, she had noticed that he also wore glasses. Black ones.

And it looks good on him. No, well it just fits him.

Alex shifted his sight to the book in her hand then back to her face and replied, "Point taken." His voice was friendly. He looked back to his laptop as Avery looked back to her book in her palm. Alex pushed his glasses to the bridge of his nose as he continued on looking at his laptop. Eyes glued to the screen.

Alex took a sip of his coffee as Avery took a sip of her own tea. They both sat in their booth, back against one another and occupied with their own doings.