Chapter One - Uneducated Pleb

Start from the beginning

Like a faucet the anger ran thick and hot threw my veins. I barely restrained myself from slapping him across the face.

He was a beautiful man, he always had been, even in the oldest pictures I'd seen. He had short Jet black hair, green eyes and a perfectly chiseled jawline. It was like he'd been created by adonis himself, it was just a pity the perfection ended at his exterior.

"Problem?" Evan exclaimed, his eyes met mine. I could see fire in them, but as he stared at me his face softened slightly.

I shrugged and shook my head.

"Juliet. I've got to go. I'll call you after work." Evan pulled the phone from his ear without pausing for an answer. He shoved the phone in the pocket of his suit pants.

Before I could say a word, the elevator jolted. My eyes widened and I gripped onto the side. Our hands touched, but this time it seemed as though it were welcomed. The lights in the elevator flickered and for a moment I was afraid the cubicle of death might stall and leave us suspended 20 stories high, however the lights came back on and elevator smoothed out, continuing it's ascent.

Evan pulled his hand away from mine, and I pulled mine back toward me. Any hopes of a good impression had disintegrated, the horse hadn't even left the stall. I was throwing in the towel now.

The elevator doors opened and Evan walked out. He looked back at me and tilted his head.

"You're new aren't you." He said finally.

"I'm leaving." I replied, remaining inside the death trap of an elevator. "You should get this hunk of junk serviced by the way."

His eyes narrowed and he stepped back toward the elevator entrance, placing his foot in front of the door to stop it closing.

"Leaving?" He replied.

"This was a mistake." I replied. "And clearly a waste of both of our time. I'm sorry Mr Jackson. You can call your girlfriend back, the hire you never hired just quit."

Evan's eyes widened, but he didn't move. In Fact he placed his entire stature in the doorframe of the elevator.

"You're Alice Donovan?" He scoffed.

"I prefer to be called Ace."

"Ace." He muttered. "You signed the contract already, yes?"

"Yes." I mumbled. "Your point is?"

"Well you're obligated to give me two weeks notice regardless of your wish to quit. As you'd know obviously. So step out of the elevator and into my office. Now."

I bit my lip as the urge to slap him in his smug face resurfaced. I balled my hands into fists instead and walked forward.

"You're going to have to move." I exclaimed.

Evan nodded and took a step back, clearing the exit of the elevator. I contemplated leaving anyway, going back to New York. I could get my old job back as Jackson's Assistant. I didn't need this new journey, the old one, despites it's bumps and potholes had been more than enough. Still I'd promised to try new things, venture beyond my front door, exist outside of myself. Leaving was just running away and I didn't want to do that. Not right away at least.

I stepped out of the elevator and folded my arms across my chest.

"I really wasn't kidding about that death trap."

"I'll have the maintenance guys take a look." He replied dryly. "Follow me Miss Donovan, I'll explain exactly what you'll be doing once we get to my office."

I followed because I had no other choice, when what I wanted to do was run in the other direction, yelling 'freedom' at the top of my lungs while ripping the suddenly constrictive blouse from my skin.

"After you." Evan exclaimed, holding open a door for me. "Walk straight through, my door is open."

I listened, crossing the floor of the receiving room. I'd been in here once, as a child though I barely remembered it. I walked right through, into the office and sat down in one of the plush black seats.

"May I suggest we start over?" Evan spoke clearly, calmly... and like a nephew who didn't want to piss his Aunt off.

"So I'm not an uneducated pleb?" I asked. "Or I am, and you're just going to keep it to yourself now. Where do we stand on the uneducated pleb status of me?"

Evan walked around to his desk and sat down opposite me.

"Just because you got this job on the back of a favour doesn't mean I have to placate you with false compliments and make you feel all warm and happy inside." He stared at me, his face deadpan. "In fact, most would say this would be the opposite place you should have come if you expected that."

"You think I wanted an easy ride, everything handed to me on a silver platter?" I laughed. "Evan Jackson..."

"What is that suppose to mean."

"Your name alone opens doors. Mine is nothing and it always has been. I don't expect anything for free, I never have, I just wanted a fair shot. All I expected was professionalism and a sliver of respect, So color me surprised when some unprofessional so and so insults me within earshot."

I crossed my arms across my chest "Boss or not, you were out of line."

Evan leaned back in his chair and tilted his head.

"You're right." He said finally. "I was, so for being a complete dunce I apologise, wholeheartedly. Though, You say you want a fair shot Miss Donovan?"

"Yes." I replied.

"Fine, then let's start over." He stood up and held out his hand. "From the very beginning. Welcome to your job interview. I'm Evan Jackson. CEO of Booked Out, and you are?"  

A/N - And we're back... at Booked Out no less. No doubt you have questions, and we will get to them. I will answer right now a few before we go forward.

If anyone needs  a recap of the family trees, let me know and I will draw some up. 

 hope you're glad for a NEW going Series book. I promise this one will be a firecracker!