I don't understand how she could be so rude towards another borrower. There were barely any of us left as there is. Luckily I was able to escape the drama by speaking to my cousins until the adults heard the family leave. I began to pack my borrowing bag but someone placed there hand on my back, my aunt.

"I don't think it would be wise for you to come along. The humans will be back soon and I'd rather not lose my house if you freeze up and get caught." She stated in a sickly sweet tone, underlined with malice. I didn't even know how to respond, not expecting her to go that far.

"Come on (Y/n), I can't wait to borrow with you again! Hopefully, we'll be able to find something sweet." I voice spoke out, it was her son/daughter, Alex.

"I don't think she's feeling too good to go." My aunt responded, giving him a glare to not intervene.

"No, you must be mistaken mom, we were just talking how excited we were." They said, they must've known what his mom was trying to do. They bent down, helping me pack a few more things before helping me up, rushing towards the adults with me in toe, holding my hand before their mom could say anything else.

We headed out, my aunt staying behind to watch the children though I think she only did because of me. Alec and I made our way towards the bowl of sweets while the adults were collecting items for dinner. "Awwhh, how adorable. Wouldn't they make a good couple?" I heard my mother tell my dad.

I should explain this now, my aunt isn't actually my aunt so my parents weren't shipping me with my cousin. Since there are so few of us, any borrower is considered a family member so my aunt is really apart of the "Wall" family, since her ancestors created a way to live in the walls by using metal to carve through the walls. My family was the "Clock" family since our family tree has mostly lived around grandfather clocks. I know our last names aren't very clever but it was the only way to know whether or not you were related to another borrower or not.

I blushed and Alex chuckled, still holding my hand as we made our way over to the candy bowl. "So, how's your new place?" They asked, slowing their pace so we could talk. I couldn't deny their voice was pleasant and they did look a little cute.

"Alright, I guess. I was easy during the first few months but his schedule has begun to become more sporadic. I don't think I'll be able to borrow during the day anymore if he keeps it up. What about you, have you moved out yet?" I asked, not wanting to go into more about what my human did since he was pretty weird at times. I mean seriously, who bathes in eggnog?

"My mom refuses to let me move out yet since she needs a 'strong borrower in the house' but she's only saying that to flatter me and make me do all the borrowing for her like my father did before he passed."

"Yikes" I replied, I'd hate to be stuck with someone like her.

"I'll move out soon though. I'm just teaching my younger brothers how to borrow efficiently enough before I go." They said. Alex had 4 younger brothers, twins who were 14, one 8 years old, and a 5-year-old. "Plus the twins birthday will be coming soon so they'll be able to take charge until my mom finds another man to manipulate." They laughed, causing me to laugh along with them. I think their mom has had 3 husbands so far. Which is very lucky and unfortunate for a borrower.

"Where are you two lovebirds heading out? Gonna make out?" an obnoxious voice spoke, being followed by a chorus of snickers. I turned around to see the "Couch" family. They were known for living in couches by ripping open the bottom of the couch and building within. Clever, but things were bound to be broken as people sat, forcing them to only build a few inches up. There were about 5 of them, all around the same age, the oldest being 19 while the youngest was 15.