Chapter 3 | Just a good boy gone bad

Start from the beginning

"Did you see Kim Kardashians selfie?" A girl asks me, she practically shoves her phone at my face to reveal an almost half naked picture of the A list celebrity.

I didn't care about celebrities as much as the girls of this school do, every time a celebrity would update on their life - these girls would go mental. I guess they have every right to, after all it's their life and it's their choice of looking up to someone.

"I did now." I say with false enthusiasm, after all that's what these people want. Any form of attention from me would somehow boost their social status. I'm just a pawn in a chess game, used until the end to get swapped for something better.

Something better. A high popularity ranking near Xanthe Hale. People adore him in this school, they'll use all forms of ways to impress me so that they could sit on the table with me, and Xanthe - who I've never spoken to in my life.

They think I talk to Xanthe daily, that we're the closest friends ever. They're really mistaken, the both of us never seem to talk, I doubt we would ever even talk.

"Do you people always crowd her? Can't you give her space?" I heard a sharp edged voice, I look up to meet the eyes of Carter. He scans my tired state with a blank face.

People move away swiftly as Carter sets his bag on top of the joint desk, I look at him slightly shocked. Why would he want to sit next to me?

The scent of his mesmerising cologne surrounds the atmosphere immediately. He unzips his leather jacket and places it on his chair, before laying his head on the cold desk.

I frown at his actions, the old Carter would've sat with his date underlined and all of his note books piled up. The Carter sitting beside me was different, he seemed so foreign.

"Is there something wrong?" Carter mumbles, turning his body to face me. If I attempted to comment on how he's acting now, it would cause him to dislike me. I sigh, if doing his comment.

I'm here to graduate, not to pick up on how much Carter Matthews has changed.

I felt Carter's intense gaze on me, he scoffs before pulling out a yellow note book. "I don't get girls." he mutters, opening the yellow note book.

"I don't get boys." I sarcastically mumble back, his attitude annoyed me.

Carter pauses, tilting his jaw to look at me. "Really? You have quite the attitude from what I can hear." his face was intimately close to mine, my chair screeches as I move it back.

Carter releases a soft chuckle, placing both his hands up. "Relax, it's not as if I was going to do anything to you." he mutters, a smirk tugging on his lips.

"I don't like it when people invade my private space, you're pushing the limits." I state bitterly, moving my chair forward. Carter shakes his head amused, moving his chair closer.

"It's America, there's no such thing as private space anymore," Carter comments, his chair was almost touching mine. "After all, everything you do, people will come at you for no damn reason."

His voice was rigid, he didn't seem amused anymore. Something had happened to him that day after he got beaten up by Bryce three years back.

I ignore his statement, moving further away from his chair. I didn't like the way he was acting towards me, he's sounding like a typical douche.

"You can always state if you have a problem with me," Carter says boldly, looking at me straightforwardly. "After all, there's something called freedom of speech."

I don't have a problem with him, I just seemed to find his change a little drastic. He was better as the nice person he was three years back, maybe I have a problem. I'm too hung up on how Carter used to be that I'm forgetting there's something called growing up, you can't always remain the same person.

If this bad boy farcade is what Carter likes, I'll eventually have to accept it. It's his life and his choices, even if I don't like it — I don't even have a say.

"I don't have a problem with you, believe me." I respond, calmly moving my chair back to where it was. Carter's shoulder brushes against mine as he pulls out a pen from his pocket.

Do all people keep their pens in their pockets?

"I hope you're not lying." Carter mutters under his breath, more to himself than to me.

THIRD PERSON POV

Carter felt his stomach churning beside Zara, why is she making me feel so bad? He thought to himself as he avoids her glance. Was this change really worth it? He only changed due to the memories of the past and in hopes of finally gaining Zara's attention. He wanted to prove that he was no longer the weak good boy he used to be, he was now a manlier alternative.

He's just a good boy gone bad.

[ e n d  o f  c h a p t e r t h r e e ]
#4 — authors note

what are your opinions on lisa? what do you think of xanthe? what do you think about carter, was he wrong to change into someone else, someone who thinks is better than his past self?

vote, comment, and share! i'm going to try my hardest to update this book more often, as people like reading it <3