Chapter 3 | Just a good boy gone bad

Start from the beginning

The both of us walk into the cafeteria, eyes instantly find our way. I was used to it, the deceiving eyes of the students in the high school followed me everywhere for the past two years. I thought the stares would've stopped in a few weeks but I was so wrong.

Lisa pulls me by my arm, dragging me towards the table where Xanthe would sit with some of the people from the soccer team. I gulp, we never talk: even when we sit together — he would just ignore my presence.

People in this school would always notice my presence, it was only Xanthe who would pay no heed to me. Although it was refreshing to know that at least one person didn't care about what I did but for some reason it made me feel a little sad knowing that Xanthe Hale ignores me.

Sat beside Xanthe was Carter Matthews. His tight black turtle neck clung onto his skin - giving everyone a view of his newly toned body that nobody was used to. It's crazy how Carter was as thin as a stick, now he's as built as a rock.

Lisa sets her bag down on to the table, she greets Xanthe, and hesitantly greets Carter who ignores her presence. His eyes were on me, I nervously pull out my sandwich, trying my hardest to ignore his bewildering gaze.

Xanthe looks at Carter, elbowing him on the shoulder. Carter shakes his head, throwing me a side smirk. He pulls out his leather jacket from his bag and places it on. Zipping the tight leather jacket firmly, he also pulls out a helmet from his bag.

Were my eyes deceiving me? Did Carter Matthews own a motorcycle now? He had all the capabilities of a cliched bad boy, from his personality to the necessities of a typical bad boy. His transformation seemed too surreal to even be reality.

Girls stare at Carter in awe, they shamelessly check him out as he pulls his backpack up. I notice Lisa looking at him mesmerised by his captivating looks, I couldn't see him how everyone else saw him.

To me, Carter was still the same boy I knew a few years back. The same good boy that would stay back and clean the classroom, the same boy who would volunteer to mark test papers. Seeing him like this made me feel weird, he didn't seem to suit the role of a so called bad boy.

Did he just go through this whole phase just to prove a point? He didn't have to go around acting like he's some bad guy, all I could see in him was the good that I saw in the past. He is still the Carter Matthews I knew, however now he's just a little more mature.

»»————- ♔ ————-««

I sit in the full class room bored, people were surrounding me like usual. They didn't know how I truly felt, the feeling of having multiple people around me felt uncomfortable. They'll try their hardest to include me in their conversations but I wouldn't feel included.

I never feel included in this high-school, the people here were really similar, however I wasn't the same. They loved being well known, I got sucked into the world of being known and now I have to pay the prices for it.

I felt like that friend who would be left out on everything, the friend that's barely included in anything. I felt so out of place that I could barely stand staying in a room with my classmates anymore.

This feeling has been here for three years. After Carter had left, it was weird. The people were only being nice to me so they could become my friend and gain attention. Carter was just a friend who would help me with anything, he was nice to everyone. He made me feel equal, he made life comfortable.