X

Picture of Nicholas Hamilton as Cody

Ten Years Ago

Seven

I dash through trees in desperation, eyes darting as I look for a hiding spot. I feel his presence behind me and I grow more and more nervous. If I don't act now, he's sure to find me! I notice a few thick vines looming underneath me, and crawl below to hide underneath them. A daddy-long-leg crawls around my hand as I hear Redfield's whispers getting closer all around me..

"....Where are you, Seven...." he calls out in a sing-song voice. A centipede crawls on my hand, up my arm, and into my shirt sleeve.

I let out a scream as thick vines seize around my leg, pulling me from the depths of my hiding space. I get pulled to the front door of the dark house, and laugh; the vines gently set me down.

"You cheater! You peeked," I laugh. I hear Noah screeching as he tumbles through a thick field of trees.

"No fair! You'd never told me that you can use birds to see me, they almost pecked my eye out!" he brushes the leaves that spray his sweater. Invisible claws reach out to Jane, she hangs upside down for a brief minute. She giggles as she's set down.

"Quit it, Mr. Red! You almost ripped my dress," she hides a smile,"You play too rough!"

As Mr. Red drags the rest of my friends to the clearing, we hear a whisper of laughter coming from the pile of stones. In the window in the ruins, we see a shadowy figure watching us.

"Mr. Red? Is that you, the real you?!" I call out, the vines recede from the clearing as the shadow fades into the darkness inside.

"Aww, it is him, he seems shy," Stacy says with a frown.

"Mr. Red, you should come outside!" Jane suggests.

"..........Nnnnnooooo...." a faint whisper can be heard.

"Why not?" Jane says, sadly.

".....because.....you'll get scared...."

"Aww, c'mon. Come out Mr. Red!" Ava chants, everyone begins chanting for Redfield to come out as a sickening gut feeling purges my insides. The shadows in the house peel outwards, bleeding out into a dark coil. A black shape boils over before our eyes before a wisp of an entity appears.

"...Hello..." it says slowly. We all are taken back as Stacy and Lily let out a scream in horror.

"Everyone, get back!" I warn them. Mr. Red steps out, but pulls back as the sun blinds him. Smoke and ash burn from his shape as he turns back inside the house.

I breathe air out in relief as my friends seem to calm down. The forest stills in silence.

"What..what was that?" Dan says in disbelief.

"What even is he?" Noah questions additionally.

"Who cares?! Let's get outta here!" Lucas exclaims.

"He's not following us, though. Maybe he doesn't want to hurt us," Lily says, frowning.

"I'm not sure, but it looks like the light hurts him, kind of like a vampire," Ava gives a smirk.

"Oh! I have an idea," Lily says in excitement. "Remember when I got an ear infection and you all came over my house and we watched movies and stuff?" Gears in my brain shift as I fully understand what she's implying.

"Ah, okay! So, since Mr. Red is afraid of the light, we can come back when its--" Andy stops, uneasy. "--dark?" We all exchange looks one by one, as I remember the last thing that happened when me and Jane stepped into the ruins.