New Boyfriend

Note- Sorry to all my readers who started reading and were only met with two chapters and my readers who were here from the beginning. But I am back and here's a nice chapter for you. Once again, I apologize for the wait.

2 Years Later

Katniss

Cato was supposed to be here half an hour ago. Where could he possibly be? I wandered through the forests of District 12, trying to catch some game and keep my footsteps silent. The sun was blazing high in the morning sky and I wished I had gotten up earlier, but Cato told me to meet him here at a specific time. And he doesn't even show up. Suddenly, a strong hand grabs my shoulder and I freeze.

"Gotcha," a familiar voice whispered in my right ear, his breath hitting my neck in sharp puffs.

I frown, turning around to face my blonde friend from District 2. His icy blue eyes shined brightly, though they remained cold and calculating around me. Just not as intense, but more of a softer look.

"Don't do that Cato. It isn't funny either. I thought you were a peacekeeper for a second until you said something." I said quietly, glaring at Cato.

He chuckled under his breath, but I kept my eyes on him the entire time. He looked up at me, smirking and I scowled at his amusement.

"Geez Katniss, lighten up a bit will you? I come every year for 2 weeks just to spend time with you and you are almost always so closed off. Just have some fun." He said.

I gave him another hard glare. I could feel my hand clenching my bow tighter than normal.

"Well it's kind of hard to have fun and "lighten up" when you live in a District that's not wealthy and has a low food supply. It's kind of hard to have fun when you have a family that depends on you, because they're starving and-"

I was cut off abruptly by Cato's lips pressing onto mine. My rant was completely forgotten and I melted into Cato's arms. I molded my lips into his and he responded by wrapping his arms around my waist. I wasn't sure what to do with my hands, so I let them rest on his chest. We continued to kiss until a bird chirping brought me back to reality. I pulled away quickly, letting my head rest in the crook of his neck. His chin came down on my head, as I struggled to catch my breath. He fingered my braid while I remained limp, completely dazed from the kiss.

"Well that was a good way of telling me to shut up." I said, glancing up at him.

He smiled and pulled me to the ground with him.

"Katniss can we talk really quickly. Then we can go back to hunting." Cato said.

I nodded warily and feared that he would be delivering bad news. He fingered the seams in his pants as we sat beside each other. I watched his fingers and grabbed them with mine to encourage him to tell me whatever it was he wanted to say. He glanced at our intertwined fingers and smiled slightly.

"Katniss, now that I'm 16, I'll have to stay back in District 2 so I can train until I turn 18. Then I'll... I'll have to volunteer for the Hunger Games. I wanted to tell you earlier this week, but I couldn't figure out how. So I'm telling you now. I'll be staying here for two more weeks and then I'll return to District 2 and I won't be able to come back." He explained drily.

No... This couldn't be happening. I couldn't lose Cato to death too! He couldn't do this.

"Cato... But you can't. You could be killed. Anything could happen to you and I'd be forced to watch." I said, tears brimming the sides of my eyes.

Cato frowned. "Katniss I'm doing this for you. I've put a lot of thought into it and I realize that I could die, but when I win, I'll have enough money to feed you, Prim, and your mom and you could live with me in District 2. Wouldn't you like that?"

I nodded, but the idea was still repulsing. The fact that Cato would risk his life to keep me and my family healthy and fed.

"Cato I'd like that very much," I paused. " Its just that the games are so dangerous."

He nodded, and looked at me with something flickering in those icy eyes that were so cold, but beautiful all the same.

"One more thing. Will you be my girlfriend? I love you Katniss and I would do anything to protect you and keep you safe." Cato murmured, grasping my two scarred hands like a lifeline.

I nodded in a daze and he kissed me with passion, a bright smile on his face. When we pulled away that smile was still there. I grinned. I have a boyfriend. How weird. I never thought it would be Cato.

"Now that that's out of my system," my blonde boyfriend whispered. "We can get back to hunting."

He stood and pulled me up with him, and searched for his sword that was hidden in a fallen tree trunk. As I watched him, I realized that I dropped my bow, and I scurried to retrieve it.

"Ready?" I heard him say behind me.

"Yeah," I replied.

He grabbed my hand and we were off. As we walked, I knew then that I would do anything to protect Cato too. Because I loved him.