Chapter 43 - The Kidnapping

Start from the beginning

I flinch.

Aiden's there. He's leaning against the house, arms crossed. His cold eyes glare at her. Then at me. I don't say anything. He doesn't either.

"Did you need something?" I ask.

"Did you?"

I sigh, leaning against the door frame. It's absolutely too late to be playing these games with him. "If that's all you came here to say, goodbye."

He doesn't hesitate to leave.

My mouth falls open, but I don't stop him. If that's what he wants. I glare at his back the whole time, but before he makes it out of sight, he stops.

"Actually." He turns around, one foot and then the other. "I did have something to say."

Oh here we go.

He looks me dead in the eyes. "Don't call me unless you're dying."

"My thoughts exactly." I give him a flat look. Neither one of us breaks eye contact.

Krys looks like she's about to cry. "No..." She turns to me. "No, you guys can't do this." She throws herself against a tree.

Um? My eyes follow her.

Brittany's do the same, quizzically. "Are you alright?"

"Get him in that house," Krys growls.

"Why?" Brittany asks.

"Because, if you get him..." Krys points at Aiden. "...in there..." She point at my house. "We finally get to leave."

Brittany's eyes light up. Within seconds, Aiden comes flying through the door. My mouth falls open.

"Behave," Brittany tells us.

Aiden looks pissed off. But before he can open his mouth, Bri

wags a finger in his face. "Uh, buh, bup. I don't wanna hear it. No funny business you two."

"What?" he asks incredulously.

I smack my forehead.

She turns to me, wiggling her eyebrows. "You better keep your hands to yourself, Luna. God forbid Carson kills me over this."

I cover my face, mortified.

On that note, she turns to Krys. "Let's get out of here already."

"Finally!" Krys smiles, grabbing her hand. "I don't even remember what sleep feels like."

"That's cause you won't stop watching those cat videos," Bri says.

They disappear into the darkness before I can say a word.

No, come back... Take Aiden with you.

I sigh, reluctantly closing the door even though he's still in here. When I turn around, I'm not surprised to see him standing there, in the middle of the room, glaring at me.

I rub my forehead. "What do you want?"

"You're the one who called me," he says.

"And I hung up on you." I look into his eyes.

We stand in silence. I cross my arms. He stands firm where he is. Neither one of us makes a move. Neither one of us swallows our pride, even though I know he's the one who needs to. I opened the door, so it's his move now.

He runs his fingers through his hair. Only now do I realize how tired he looks. He looks at me, stepping closer. Again. And again. And again.

I don't stop him from coming into my personal space. The already tiny gap between us turns into absolutely nothing. He's right in front of me, staring down into my eyes with that expression he always has. The cold one. The distant one. The 'I don't need anyone but myself' one.