Chapter 13 - Dire Consequences

"Bruce, how could you?" Marilyn yelled the moment he came out of the school building. Bruce was perplexed to see Marilyn. He was more than startled. 

"How could I what?" he asked looking confused. Some of his classmates surrounding him started to laugh. 

"Come on now!" he snapped. "You're making a scene. On top of that, you're embarrassing me."

Marilyn scowled before turning away. 

Bruce quickly gave chase. "Marilyn! Now, who's acting childish?"

Marilyn stopped for maybe he was right. She sighed bitterly. Bruce took her books for her. 

"Mind if I carry these?" he asked with his winsome smile. Marilyn frowned hating the way she reconsidered her decision of not being crowded. She still meant that. However, since hearing about Bruce's date, she hadn't been able to think about anything but him. She was jealous. She wouldn't admit that. She was also angry that he would forget about her so soon. 

"I'm hungry Marilyn. There's a burger joint not too far from here. They sell everything from cheeseburgers, hot dogs, and pizza. The food's really good."

"I know I've had it," Marilyn smiled. "Okay, Bruce. I accept your invitation but only because we need to talk." Bruce threw his arms around her. 

"Works for me, babe." Marilyn pushed him off. This was not the way he usually behaved with her. It was obvious he was showing off for his new friends. She caught his wink to someone behind them. This disgusted her.  She shoved at him.

"Forget it Bruce!" she spat. "I don't have time to go anywhere. In fact, I'll just tell you what I need right here. I saw how you laughed at that boy in your gym class.  How could you do that after what you saw me go through? I thought you were a sensitive person, but I was wrong, wasn't I? Just stay away from me okay? I don't want a bully for a boyfriend, nor do I want one for a friend. In fact, why don't you just- oh never mind!" It wasn't worth it. Marilyn rushed off, but Bruce stayed on her heels. 

"Oh, Marilyn come on. I wasn't bullying anybody.  I was laughing, but not at the kid. The whole incident was funny that's all. You would have laughed too if you were in the class. How did you see it anyway? I mean you weren't in the gym."

"You didn't see me, but I was there. I saw everything. I don't care how funny the joke was or whatever its never funny to laugh at someone's expense.  Didn't you see how hurt that kid looked? How embarrassed?" Marilyn was on the verge of tears.

"Oh, Marilyn for God's sake man. You're overreacting. You've been traumatized by what happened to you so now you think everyone's being bullied.

 Now don't follow me anymore. I'm going home." With that, Marilyn sped off hoping Bruce would get the hint and leave her alone. He called after her, but she didn't wait. She didn't want to hear another word from him. Bruce had changed! He turned on her!

Marilyn burst into the tears the moment she hit her pillow. She didn't give her mom a chance to say anything to her. Thankfully her mother had company anyway.  She wouldn't hear Marilyn's sobs.  Later that night Marilyn spoke to Sharon on the phone. She insisted she was done with Bruce Hayes. She didn't have time for this. However, Sharon was sure that wasn't true.

"You still like him, Marilyn," she insisted. "You feel betrayed by him and its okay. But he didn't betray you. After you walked away from him, he looked miserable. He didn't even stick around to hang out with those new friends of his. Marilyn, I don't think he meant any harm."

"He didn't mean any good either. I would have accepted his invitation to eat, but he was treating me like a joke. Let him stay with his friends. I don't care! I have to go Sharon. I still have that English book report I need to complete. Did you finish yours?"