Chapter Two: Signals.

It's been three days since we ate lunch together at Red Berry's. Jake hasn't texted nor replied to any of my messages. I tried adding him on Facebook but he hasn't accepted it. I see him in class but he just casually says hello. I'm seated at the benches near the study yard, just looking at students passing by. Katie and the others were still having classes, mine is still 2 hours from now. I kept looking at my phone expecting a text but none. The day was breezy and it felt good to be alone for a while alone with my thoughts. I'm so distracted.

Maybe Jakes isn't gay. Maybe, I just believe that he is. Maybe, I took that lunch together the wrong way. Did I say something wrong that day? I don't remember anything awkward, though. We just shared each other's thoughts on the course we're taking, nothing romantic at all, a friendly lunch. Maybe, I fall too fast, all the time.

"Hey." Katie was walking towards me and sat on the bench.

"Where are Jenny and Anna?" I asked.

"Canteen, as usual. Said they were hungry but I wasn't so... How are you? You've been so silent lately." She said.

"Was I? Maybe just preoccupied about stuff, nothing serious, really. I'm okay. Thanks for asking."

"Alright, I believe you. Hey, you want to go the mall later? I need to buy something."

"Yeah, sure."

Someone caught my eye even from afar; it was Jake, with Ellen. They were walking out of the school talking and laughing. We have the same class two hours from now. I was hoping that he would see me but he didn't. I should just shrug this feeling off. It's just a crush or an infatuation, anyway. I shouldn't expect anything from this make believe.

"Do you want to go now?" I asked.

"Oh? Yeah. Okay. Let me call Jenny and Anna."

"No, just us. Let's go." I stood and wore my backpack and started to walk. Katie looked at me surprised.

"Wait! What's the rush?" She asked as she was keeping up with my pace. I could hear her panting.

"Let's go out at the other gate." I said. We went to the east wing of the university and went out there instead. I didn't want to see him or even cross paths with him. I wanted to avoid him until I clear my thoughts.

There weren't a lot of people in the mall, seeing how it was still a weekday. It's always filled every weekend that you wouldn't want to even bother coming here. "So where are we going exactly?" I asked.

"Nowhere in particular. I just wanted to sit around and just hang out." She said.

"Are you serious? Let's get some frappe. It's a hot day." I said. We sat outside Starbucks drinking our frappes. "So what's up with you?" Katie asked. She took a sip and gave me "I-know-you're-bothered" look. Even when inside the jeepney, I was thinking of Jake while Katie was talking to me about some project we needed to do for English 101. It went through my right ear. I was preoccupied with my thoughts. Should I still text him? He seems to be ignoring me.

"Hey." Katie waved at me. I snapped back from my thoughts.

"Oh, I was thinking of our English project... What did we need to do again?"

"You're kidding me, right? I explained it in the jeep in full details! I even asked if you understood and you nodded."

"Sorry, I was sleepy."

"Excuses. Anyway, we need to sing a song for English 101. We have to explain what the song means and why you chose it."

"Have you chosen one yet?"