eleven

SHE COULD HEAR the voice of Drax from the comm. "Wait. Is Quill back?" He asks, just at the
mention of his name was enough to break Astrid. She tried so hard to not let Drax hear her, "Astrid, where's Quill?" she looks up and sees Rocket, his hand out for her to reach. She takes his hand and stands up, the door closes and she watches from the window. "Where's Quill?! Where's Quill?!" Drax kept repeating.

"Hurry up Yondu." She whispered to herself as she bit on her nails. She could feel the engine of the ship start and next thing she knew they were floating off the ground. There's a possibility, she thought. That maybe  Quill and Yondu might make it in time, but next to her was Rocket and by the looks of his watch there was only 26 seconds to go.

"Damn it." She cursed.

────────

Zero. Ego's brain exploded and all Peter did was just stay on his knees with his head down as everything around him starts to collapse. He took in that this is it. He's accepted this, at least he's saved his friends and the galaxy.

But then the unexpected happens. Yondu wearing the aero rig, flies towards Peter, grabbing him before he flies away. He flies them both upwards away from the collapsing planet and into the skies where they get much higher and higher.

Peter is surprised at Yondu's appearance, thinking that he already left with Rocket and the rest he would've never expected this from him. "He may have been your father, boy. But he wasn't your daddy."

"What?"

"I'm sorry I didn't do it right. I'm damn lucky your my boy and Astrid's my girl."

Peter's touched but yet sad. He knows what he's trying to say, a goodbye. Yondu was never good at saying them nor actually said them, but the way he said it to Peter, well it broke him. And it sure as hell will break Astrid too. "What?"

But Yondu does the unspeakable, he removes his spacesuit and slaps it on Peter. He's confused and shock at his actions, as they exit the planet's atmosphere and into space. Yondu breaths out one last time, Peter struggles to move but it's because he's trapped in Yondu's embrace.

"Yondu, you can't! What are you doing?! What are you doing?!" He asks but he doesn't reply. Soon Yondu's jet fuel runs out, his embrace on Peter loosens and next thing he knows, Yondu is moving farther away. But before he could float out in the vast emptiness, he reaches out his hands and touches Peter's face. "No!" Peter cries out as he holds Yondu tightly.

"No!"

────────

"There's Peter! Rocket!" Astrid calls out pointing outside from the window. Rocket and Drax was quick to take action, they both out on their spacesuits and aero rigs in order to retrieve Peter. Astrid joined along too, she exits the ship and helps the two.

But when she sees that Peter isn't alone she has the biggest smile in her face as she thought they both cane out alive just as she hoped. Her smile soon faded away as she got closer to the two, she sees what actually happened and there he is. Yondu, dead in Peter's grip.

Peter is sobbing which triggered Astrid. She covers her mouth in disbelief, and just takes Peter in her arms. She flies them back to the ship where Rocket and Drax follows. They were finally able to remove their spacesuits and when they did, Peter's sobs were able to be heard.

They brought in Yondu's dead body in next, making sure to not let Astrid or Peter see. They wanted him to have a proper funeral not one where they just leave him in space, he needed to be remembered for what he did to save Peter's life.

"Pete. Peter, look at me." Astrid said to him, having one hand on his cheek. "No. He's gone." He sob and Astrid just straddled her brother in her arms as she silently cried too.

Yondu did make it right. Astrid didn't need nor want anything special from Yondu to make things right, he knew how much Peter meant to her and by sacrificing himself in order to save Peter meant the world to Astrid. At last, after all these years, Yondu finally did make things right with Astrid.