Chapter 13: The End of the Beginning

Start from the beginning

"Why do you keep it that way if you hate it?" he asked.

"It's nice to have a reminder of my fallibility," was all I told him before heading over to Ryder at the lunchline. "I'm sorry," I told him as I followed him to the usual lunch table. Marley wasn't there.

"For?" he said.

"Okay, can you just stop pretending?" I asked him. "Ryder, we haven't talked since Tuesday and honestly, I just really miss you."

As Dan and Amity joined us, Ryder stood and said, "Now you won't have to." 

"Ryder, stop it," I said, but he was already gone. Unique wasn't there, probably because she was busy being a good friend. So I sat with the newbies and listened to them talk about the election while I brainstormed ways to win back Ryder.

***

"Ok," I said, "so I know that he's upset because I've been pushing him off the best friend radar and for Dan and not John this time. He feels like I've pushed him away. Probably like I don't appreciate him. Anything else?"

"Maybe he feels forgotten..." mumbled Bree. "I have a way for you to get him to forgive you. Just walk into that choir room and go kiss him."

I laughed. "I want his friendship back," I said, "not his love." We were at my locker after school while I switched out some books and Bree waited for us to head to glee club together.

"Why not?" asked Bree. "Unless you want someone else then... Oh my gosh, you're into Dan! No! You and Sam are back--"

"Calm down," I said, looking back at her for a second and laughing. "I'm not going after anyone else."

"Well then I don't see what the problem is!" she exclaimed. "You obviously still care for him and he's head over heels in love with you. He didn't even rush after Marley today because he was so upset about you. Speaking of, you think Kitty's doing okay?"

"You mean because everyone's probably really close to finding out what she did?" I told her. "I doubt she's okay. Honestly, what where y'all thinking suggesting Hairspray?"

"I honestly forgot," Bree said as I closed my locker and we headed towards rehearsals. "And I think so did Kitty."

"Yeah," I agreed. "She pushed the person she was a year ago away so much that I think she didn't exist for some time. Until now."

"You think John knows?" asked Bree.

"No idea," I said. "But if he doesn't already, he's going to be in for a shock at who he fell in love with."

We reached the choir room and just before walking in, Bree stopped me. "O-M-G..." she murmured. I followed her gaze to the end of the hall, where Marley was standing, talking to some guy.

"Who is that..." I mumbled, completely distracted suddenly.

"Alexis," said Jake as he joined us, watching the guy hit on Marley. "He's a sophomore. You don't recognize him?" I shook my head and looked back at Marley. Then I paid attention to the guy. White t-shirt underneath a black leather jacket, which seemed worn, just like his jeans and his black shoes. It was him.

"The smoking guy?" I responded, looking at Jake as I remembered my time in detention with the guy who wouldn't put the cigarette down. He was a jackass. 

Jake nodded. Marley started laughing really loudly, so Jake shook his head and headed inside. When the guy smiled at Marley and walked away, I pulled Bree into the choir room so that Marley wouldn't see us watching. We headed to our seats and waited for her to walk in. I noticed Jake couldn't take his eyes off of her blushing face, so I leaned into Ryder.