Chapter 27:Polite Chit-Chat

Start from the beginning

“How very thoughtful, Elijah, that is exactly why I chose this dress.”

“You look enchanting, Evangeline. I’m sure my brother is losing his mind.”

“He better be; otherwise I’ve wasted five minutes of my life for nothing.”

The topic of Klaus bothered me a lot less than I would have thought. It was easy to joke about it with Elijah; he really did know how to lighten the mood. That comes from decades spent with me.

“I’m going to swap you off now, go break some toes.” I glared at Elijah for a second before I was spun right into someone else.

I glanced at my new partner and relaxed when I realized it was not Klaus as I had feared it would be. It was a complete stranger. “I’m Xavier.” He introduced himself and I smiled.

“Evangeline. I apologize in advance for my lack of dancing skills. I get it from years spent not dancing.”

“You’re doing perfect so far.”

“So far.”

“So tell me about yourself. We know you have moderate dancing ability, what else is there?”

“Well my family is pretty much wiped out; it’s just my brothers and I. People think it’s odd that we’re unaffected by that, but my father was despicable. I’ve traveled most my life and I intend to do that for the rest of it. Mystic Falls is my hometown, my brothers and I make it back every now-and-then. Other than that; it’s a sad lonely life that I lead.”

“At least you know what you want and have your brothers.”

“What is your life like?”

“My parents got divorced when I was young then they both remarried. I was raised in East Yorkshire, England and moved here to Virginia when I was 18; left my old life behind to start a new one. I’m currently attending university at Whitmore.”

“What are you studying?”

“Law. I’ve always been good at arguing and I believe prosecution is the best way to do what I’m good at while making the world a bit safer.”

If only he knew what I was, he wouldn’t want to dance with me then. “What’s to say it isn’t safe already? I believe the things that happen are meant to happen; some people can’t control themselves or what they do.”

“There’s always a choice.”

I drew back as the dance ended. “It’s been a pleasure speaking with you; there’s something I need to do.” I turned to walk away, but he grabbed my arm. Instantly, I spun his arm behind him and strained it slightly.

“Evangeline!” I looked around me, catching the gazes of some people as Rebekah ran up to me.