"Hey, girl" I laugh to myself.

"Morning neighbor," I look up to see my neighbor, Cid.

"Hey, Cid. Qué onda?"

"Just coming back from a walk, was trying to calm Hilda down but I guess not," He chuckles as he watches Hilda bound around the yard, barking at seemingly anything in the radius.

"Your parents around? I didn't see 'em around this morning," he questions.

"Nah, they're still overseas, dealing with my great aunt's estate. They'll be back within a couple weeks," I answer, he looks at me in shock.

"That's an awful amount of time being gone from home, especially leaving a kid in a big house like that," he looks at me wide-eyed. The horrific nightmare flashes in my mind for a brief moment before I shake my head.

"Yeah, well, it's not so bad. I enjoy my time alone, is all," I smile. I turn back to see Hilda rushing towards us, with something in her mouth. She barks at Cid happily. 

He cocks his head to the side as he bends down to reach for what she's fetched.

"Huh, I wonder what this is.." he turns the item over and it reveals to be a pitch-black glossy stone, with a rune carved in the center. He tosses it to me, asking if it was mine.

I ran my thumb over the exterior, the stone despite its light appearance was slightly heavy in my hand.

"Extraño" I whisper to myself. Where'd Hilda find this at? And what exactly was it? I brush the dirt off and a certain smell makes me freeze. The smell of cold dirt....and blood.

"It smells exactly like that thing that--" I stop myself, glancing nervously at Cid.

"Smells like what?" He asks. I fumble over answers in my head.

"Uh..strange, it just smells strange is all.." He nods, which makes me relax.

"Well, I'll let you get off to school, if ya need anything just knock at my door!" He says, rounding up Hilda as they both head off. I nod, throwing the stone in my backpack as I head off to school. If from what I saw last night is true, then I'd better hang on to the stone.

...

Five minutes into me walking to school, I hear a car approaching me from behind. I shift to the side as I lock eyes with the driver of the black vintage Camaro, who looks strongly familiar. The car slows to a stop, as he leans through the open window.

"Hey, do I know you from somewhere?" He asks. I begin to take in his features. Rich blonde hair, misty grey eyes, handsome face.

"You do seem familiar, you attend Westchester High?" I question. He gives a chuckle in response.

"Not anymore, I left that hellhole a few years back." I smile back

"Lucky you," His eyes glisten slightly as he smiles in return.

"Hang in there, you'll be out before you know it. Anyways, gotta run, catch ya later," he revs up his car as he begins pulling off.

"W-Wait, I haven't caught your--" I was too late as he drifts off down the road.

"-Name." I stare at his fading car, shrugging as I return to my power walk to school.

...

Crowds of students calling to their friends flooded the front yard of Westchester High School as I push my way through. Making my way to my locker, I spot a familiar girl standing beside it.