Chapter 2: The Experiment

As Hiro entered the Parasite Conference Room, Nana and Dr. Franxx were waiting, and she was the first to speak. "Hiro, Dr. Franxx would like to speak to you concerning a topic I currently have no knowledge about. He says the conversation should be exclusively between the two of you. I will now take my leave." She exited the room as she spoke.

Dr. Franxx watched her leave, his eyes still fastened on her kadunkadunk as she departed. He now turned to Hiro. "Code 016, you have been hailed from childhood as the parasites' prodigy. You represented the children at the Garden and gave them names. You were always reputed as being of high aptitude from your early years. And now, a full-grown parasite, your dwonger has become the first to absorb Zero Two's flower bomb.

"Now, I have been made aware of a certain cooch comrade attempt by Code 196 to function in a pistil-pistil connection with Code 015. While the connection never materialized, the idea brought something new to my mind: Is it possible for a pistil to produce a positive pulse in a FranXX? It's certainly an experiment that would be very difficult to accomplish with the generic pistil. So I have an idea that may or may not work, but either way, I'm pretty sure my wang-wong will consider it as being worth all the trouble."

"So what kind of a proposition do you have in mind?" asked Hiro, who was absolutely clueless as to where this discussion was leading.

Dr. Franxx replied, "My proposition is this: Your mission is to retrieve two pistils from the past who I believe can be ideal testis subjects for the experiment I have in mind. In short, my goal is to achieve a pistil-to-pistil Franxx and to examine how powerful a connection can be obtained from it. In order for such a connection to be made possible, however"— here the good doctor cleared his throat at the thought of a potential harem situation—"these two pistils must be incredibly close in a relationship. It might seem weird to you, but these pistils are step-sisters who are in um, a loving relationship. I believe that if these two were to pilot a specially modified Franxx, one of them could, with some slight anatomical tweaking (and banging), provide a positive impulse necessary for my mech to avoid stampede mode."

Hiro, unsurprisingly, was stunned at the doctor's proposal. "Into the past?! How is such a thing possible?" To which Dr. Franxx replied, "It's very simple. I have developed a special device that can flash you through time and space, and it will be necessary for the mission to be accomplished. And, as my time here in Plantation 13 is very short, you will be sent on this mission now. As you will be sent back in time, there must be a way to return to the present day, so I have provided you with a handheld version of the time-warp device," he said, handing Hiro a pen-shaped receptacle with a wired plasma beam refractor.

"Also," said Dr. Franxx, "I highly suggest that you change your clothes, as the uniform that is on your back right now would make you stand out to our test subjects." Hiro did so, donning the strangest attire he'd seen in his life: A hoodie, snapback, sweatpants, and a backpack filled with various relics from hundreds of years back. "When you arrive in the past timeline, you will be in the year 2013. When you return, it will be no more than five minutes past the very moment we are speaking."

Hiro was growing more and more flustered. "But, Doctor, just how different is the year 2013 from right now? And how will I fit in? "

Dr. Franxx replied, "You'll know it when you see it. Same language, same people. Just a slightly different culture. And, in answer to your second question, just blend in with your subjects" With that, he led Hiro to the time-warp chamber and said one last short word: "Hiro, remember your mission. Don't be distracted by your subjects' attractive bods, and you'll be just fine!"