Nicholas nodded. He climbed to the top of the stairs and opened the door for her. Clara walked into the building.

"He's really self-conscious about the way he looks," Nicholas said. "Kevin's the only one Kenny's okay with seeing him. He was burned over ninety percent of his body."

"Ninety percent?" Clara said. "Nicholas, he couldn't have survived that much of a burn. No one could."

"Well, he did," Nicholas said, sounding sure of it.

They crossed the carpet-stained lobby, passing the elevator with a hand-written "Out of Order" sign taped across its doors. Nicholas led Clara into the dank stairwell. As they ascended, he noticed Clara studying the peeling paint and illegible graffiti.

"It's not as scary as it looks," he said. "Anyway, we'll be quick."

"That sounds like a good idea," she said. "I only have a few things to ask him."

They emerged at the top of the stairwell. Nicholas walked over to a door with a barely visible numeral 5 above a painted-over peephole.

"Well, now's your chance," he said, knocking.

For a moment, everything went silent. Then they heard shuffling sounds inside.

"Heh... hello?" a voice behind the door asked. "Who is there?"

"Kenny," Nicholas said. "It's me, Nicholas."

"Nicholas?!" Kenny said from behind the door. "Hi! Hi! Hold on, let me open the door for you!"

Clara held herself steady as she heard the doorknob unlock, a chain slide off, and a deadbolt being undone. After that, a series of quick heavy footsteps thudded inside. When it was quiet, Nicholas turned the knob and slowly opened the door.

Nicholas walked in first, with Clara just behind him. Ragtime music played from a cheap turntable somewhere in the room. Clara looked around. The interior of the grimy space was darker than the hallway, with only a sliver of diffused sunlight coming in from the back of the apartment – hitting the brown-green curtains that separated the front half of the room from the back.

Nicholas looked at Clara. She tried to hide her uneasiness.

"Kenny, I brought a friend to visit," he said.

Kenny moved behind the curtains. Clara caught a glimpse of his pale arm as he passed between the seam.

"You did?!" Kenny asked. "Who is it?" His voice didn't hide his suspicion.

"Her name is Clara," Nicholas said, motioning for her to introduce herself.

"Hello, Kenny," Clara said, sounding more hesitant than she'd wanted to. She felt the need to say something more, so she added, "I... I really like your apartment."

"Are you nice?" Kenny asked.

Clara smiled. "Well, I think I'm nice."

Kenny laughed playfully. Clara felt more at ease.

Nicholas stepped forward, placing the grocery bags on the floor near the seam in the curtains. Clara did the same.

"Kenny, we brought you some food," he said.

"Oooh! Thank you!" Kenny said. "Is it snacks?"

"Yes," Nicholas said. "It's all snacks. Cupcakes, candy bars... all your favorite varieties of junk."

"I love cupcakes!" Kenny said. Clara and Nicholas watched as his hand reached through the curtain seam and snatched the bag, sliding it back into his cave. A moment later, they heard a package being unwrapped.

Nicholas motioned to Clara with a signal that told her to get started.

"Kenny," Clara said, "can I ask you some questions?"

Clara saw his shadow go still. "What about?" Kenny asked, mumbling through a mouthful of food.

She stepped closer to the curtain. "About your old job," she said, struggling to keep her voice light. "Nicholas told me that you worked as a firefighter when you were younger."

Kenny paused. Clara could see him swaying in place behind the curtains. "Yes," he said. "I liked that job a lot."

"I bet you did," Clara said. "I wanted to know what you remember... about the Breach Point Castle. And the fire."

"I'm not supposed to talk about that," Kenny said.

Clara turned to Nicholas. He looked worried.

"It's okay, Kenny," Nicholas said.

"Kevin said not to tell anyone about that," Kenny said.

"I bet he meant anyone who's not in our family, though," he said. "But you and I are cousins. I'm sure you can tell a cousin about the fire. Tell me. We've never talked about it."

"Okay..." Kenny said. "The fire..." His voice broke, turning into low sobs.

Nicholas looked at Clara. "I'm sorry, Kenny," he said. "We didn't mean--"

"I don't want to talk about this," Kenny said. "Please leave. Please go now..."

"You don't have to talk about it," Nicholas said. "We'll go. Forget we even brought it up. Just enjoy your snacks. That's really why we came."

Nicholas walked over to the door. He motioned for Clara to follow.

Clara took a step toward him. She looked behind her and saw Kenny's white torso standing there in the seam.

She turned around and walked right up to the curtain.

"Kenny," she said, her voice more forceful, "what happened with Eric? Do you remember Eric?"

Nicholas stepped back into the apartment. He grabbed Clara's wrist and pulled her toward the door, but she wouldn't budge.

Kenny's shadow receded. "Eric...?" he said quietly.

"Yes," Clara said. "Eric, the boy from the Castle. What happened to him in the fire? Did you see him there?"

Nicholas shook his head angrily. "Stop right now," he whispered to Clara.

She ignored him. "Please, Kenny," she called out, "I need to know. It's important. What do you remember about Eric?"

Kenny's shadow loomed large across the curtains. He was still. The ragtime record finished playing, leaving the needle to repeat its scratchy ending.

"They wanted to hurt him," Kenny said.

"Who?" Clara asked. "Who wanted to hurt Eric?"

Kenny made a deep, desperate exhaling sound. Nicholas let go of Clara's wrist. They both stared at the curtains.

"Who wanted to hurt Eric, Kenny?" Clara repeated.

Kenny rushed toward the curtains. His shadow shrank and became more distinct. His arms reached up, clawing down the thin sheets like a wild animal. Dust particles flew around him as the curtains fell to the floor. He let out a series of grunts as his breath slowed.

As Clara's eyes adjusted to the beaming sunlight behind her, she struggled to make sense of the image before her.

------------------

Thanks for reading Chapter 31! If you enjoyed it, please consider voting or leaving a comment – I respond to every one.

Buy Breach Point as a paperback or eBook:

http://amzn.to/1JTSbjj

The published version contains material not found in the Wattpad version - an epilogue, prologue, concept art, and other "behind the story" elements.

- Steve